Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Next Big Things" That Died (Since the Smartphone)

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    Yeah, there are pills in their late R&D stages right now where they extract a bit of bone marrow from you and make a pill that will go in and specifically target and kill your own personal cancer cells. No damage to any other tissue. It's fucking crazy. I was teaching a woman in Sao Paulo who was working on exactly this and she said it should be ready for mass production in the next few years and will be much cheaper and hundreds of times more effective than all current cancer treatments.
    Yeah, it's amazing. And don't forget engineered phage viruses to target pathogenic bacteria - e.g. the ones that are now resistant to every currently used antibiotic.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

All of this stuff, with the possible exception of light gene therapy, never makes it out of the university laboratories. You just don't see it in mainstream medicine. Neural interfaces? BMI's (I assume that's what you mean by prostheses)? Gene modification for cancer treatment? Yes, this stuff is real, it works, it's amazing, but you will never see it outside academia or the R&D departments. Look, I've been reading New Scientist and Science Daily and phys.org for about two decades, you hear about these incredible breakthroughs, then they just disappear. Why? Who knows. It could be the prohibitive cost of mass production, or FDA hurdles, or something even more sinister. But believe me, I look forward to the day when you can order fetal stem cells from Amazon.

In the 1990's, one of the hottest stocks you could have in your portfolio (sips coffee, 7:30 AM here) was biotech. Biotech was hyped to death and all we really got out of it was 23 and Me and maybe some light temporary gene therapy, but nothing permanent and certainly nothing revolutionary. Give me an example of a type of gene therapy or genetic modification that's "mainstream" or even popularly known and I'll shut up about it.

My student was certain this shit is right around the corner
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

How about the "hoverboard":

Now, the one everyone laughs at, drone delivery, will become the next big thing. Especially when we get little drone delivery CARS that are electric, fully automated, and can zip through traffic.

Give me an example of a type of gene therapy or genetic modification that's "mainstream" or even popularly known and I'll shut up about it.
    Last edited by Agent Nucleus; 13-06-2019 at 06:31 AM.