Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: "Next Big Things" That Died (Since the Smartphone)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    542

    Default "Next Big Things" That Died (Since the Smartphone)

    Google Glass
    The Occulus Rift
    3D TV
    The Hololens (will never be sold to consumers)
    Augmented Reality (Pokemon Go! came and went)
    The Galaxy Fold (was just delayed indefinitely)
    Smartwatches (changed nothing)

    I'm starting to think the smartphone and the tablet were the apex of consumer technology's evolution. It's like there's a force resisting innovation beyond that point. I don't want to hear about smart home devices, or even self-driving cars. Those don't excite me. They will make life even more boring than it already is.

    I feel bad for anyone who pre-ordered the Galaxy Fold. Poor bastards.

    Just kidding. I would love to taste their tears. No useless overpriced status symbol for you. It's so appropriate that the last Apple commercial to feature a song was Daniel Johnston's "Story of an Artist," just one of the saddest songs of resignation ever, playing against a background montage of depressed-looking hipsters who clearly gave up on their dreams.

    At least we have that border wall to look forward to. There's your next big thing. Huuuuge actually.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agent Nucleus For This Useful Post:


  3. #2

    Default

    uk dril
    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It says bless the lads and it means bless the lads.
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    i don't know, probably some marxist cultural theory or something
    https://manifestacionesoterica.bandcamp.com/

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to other_life For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,761

    Default

    What is Galaxy Fold?
    As for 3d telly, I think it's been invented a few times and never caught on. The thing is, things far enough away look 2d anyway so no-one really needs it do they?

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,761

    Default

    Smart watch isn't that basically just a smart phone with a strap around it to attach it to your wrist?

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Smart watch isn't that basically just a smart phone with a strap around it to attach it to your wrist?
    It wishes. The smartwatch is like the smartphone's runty annoying little brother. We liked it at first, it is not without its charms, but after 6-7 years it has failed to live up to expectations. Its parents, Samsung and Apple, probably have to reassure it constantly, "Hang in there little buddy, you will come into your own eventually. It can't be easy living in your older brother's shadow, but you have your own special talents. Like fitness tracking! And other stuff!" All the while knowing it will be nothing but a constant burden, gradually deteriorate in quality, usefulness, and significance, and have to be discontinued, fading from existence and the collective memory as something equally useless and pointless, let's say SmartShoes, takes its place.

    Why did all our best minds have to die or go crazy or commit suicide in the last decade? Steve Jobs, David Foster Wallace, Heath Ledger, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Stephen Hawking (intuition tells me he was on to something with black holes shortly before his death), Anthony Bourdain, Kanye West, Elon Musk. Again, it's like something doesn't want us to evolve beyond a certain point, technologically or culturally.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent Nucleus For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nucleus View Post
    It wishes. The smartwatch is like the smartphone's runty annoying little brother. We liked it at first, it is not without its charms, but after 6-7 years it has failed to live up to expectations. Its parents, Samsung and Apple, probably have to reassure it constantly, "Hang in there little buddy, you will come into your own eventually. It can't be easy living in your older brother's shadow, but you have your own special talents. Like fitness tracking! And other stuff!" All the while knowing it will be nothing but a constant burden, gradually deteriorate in quality, usefulness, and significance, and have to be discontinued, fading from existence and the collective memory as something equally useless and pointless, let's say SmartShoes, takes its place.

    Why did all our best minds have to die or go crazy or commit suicide in the last decade? Steve Jobs, David Foster Wallace, Heath Ledger, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Stephen Hawking (intuition tells me he was on to something with black holes shortly before his death), Anthony Bourdain, Kanye West, Elon Musk. Again, it's like something doesn't want us to evolve beyond a certain point, technologically or culturally.
    I still don't know what a Galaxy Fold is or when Kanye died or about Hawking going crazy...

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    I still don't know what a Galaxy Fold is or when Kanye died or about Hawking going crazy...
    Hawking died a year ago, Kanye went crazy, and the Galaxy Fold is the result of some coffee/adderall fueled recent CompSci graduate blurting out, "Hey, what if we mashed a smartphone with a tablet? That's something new, right? At least people will think it seems new, and like, gaze upon it in awe. Let's price it at $2000":

    Samsung's version of the Galaxy Fold:



    Reality's version of the Galxy Fold:

    Hauwei gets all the good stuff first

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nucleus View Post
    Why did all our best minds have to die or go crazy or commit suicide in the last decade? Steve Jobs, David Foster Wallace, Heath Ledger, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Stephen Hawking (intuition tells me he was on to something with black holes shortly before his death), Anthony Bourdain, Kanye West, Elon Musk. Again, it's like something doesn't want us to evolve beyond a certain point, technologically or culturally.
    Almost forgot about Charlie Kauffman, screenwriter (Eternal Sunshine..., Being John Malkovich, etc.). Not sure what happened there. Maybe he was cursed like that crazy fella who directed the "Kony 2012" documentary? Wish he (Kauffman) would come back, we need his voice.

    I guess there's always been a struggle between evolutionary agency and the elemental forces of entropy and decomposition. Every agent of change that might (correctly or not) be labelled "messianic" in the post-war period was murdered: Mahatma Gandhi, John F. Kennedy, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Robert Kennedy, John Lennon, Tupac Shakur. The lesson here: never bear a cross for anyone or anything.
    Last edited by Agent Nucleus; 05-06-2019 at 04:03 AM.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    17,184

    Default

    I'm pretty sure Hawking was "on to something with black holes" for about the last 50 years...
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,761

    Default

    Hawking died a year ago, Kanye went crazy
    Yeah that bit was a joke but I really have never heard of Galaxy Fold.

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    542

    Default

    What happened to the biotech revolution promised in the '90's? Stem cells? Gene modification? All that investor money went down the drain I suppose. I guess the "playing God" argument worked. What a shame.

    Enough dwelling on the negative. What will be the actual next big thing in technology? My guess: a suicide pill and/or suicide machine that gently escorts you to the other side.

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    1,394

    Default

    but those exist already right? just they are illegal.

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    1,394

    Default

    i have for some time the feeling that interest in smartphones is waning, i don't think it will completely disappear but i don't see anything really innovative happening anymore with them. i wish i could just leave mine at home because i only really use whatsapp and no other applications.

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    17,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nucleus View Post
    What happened to the biotech revolution promised in the '90's? Stem cells? Gene modification? All that investor money went down the drain I suppose. I guess the "playing God" argument worked. What a shame.
    You've not heard about personalized medicine and gene therapy then? Never mind advanced prostheses, neural interfaces and so on. There's stuff going on right now, being used to treat patients, that was science fiction just 20 years ago.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  18. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    On the bus
    Posts
    1,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    You've not heard about personalized medicine and gene therapy then? Never mind advanced prostheses, neural interfaces and so on. There's stuff going on right now, being used to treat patients, that was science fiction just 20 years ago.
    Yeah, there are pills in their late R&D stages right now where they extract a bit of bone marrow from you and make a pill that will go in and specifically target and kill your own personal cancer cells. No damage to any other tissue. It's fucking crazy. I was teaching a woman in Sao Paulo who was working on exactly this and she said it should be ready for mass production in the next few years and will be much cheaper and hundreds of times more effective than all current cancer treatments.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •