other_life

bioconfused
what's the tune that's missing from this i went through the whole thread again checking it against the playlist, am i blind

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
68) ☠iskeletor - Afromax (Gantz Seytan Remix)

The theory of vibe migration always instructs you to keep an eye on areas where the vibe is least expected. often those culturally dormant areas can be where the life blood of vibe reside. take this, officially filed under the dubstep genre, a piece of turkish electronics with an anti-clockwise groove that both feels like the coil has come loose from the drum track but also reversed fx and bass that feels like you're being sucked backwards, and backwards, and backwards...

into a black hole. often avant-funk prides itself onn being more gangster than thou. this however takes no punches and goes full wonky.

Oh, as for that vibe migration? unsurprisingly, this was too far out for the dmz massif for it to stick longterm. dubstep today is either trapstep or rootstep. none of which i am particularly enamoured with on any significant level. I'll still occasionally dip in though, see what's cookin. but if it's plodding half step tune after half step tune for 30 minutes, you bet I'll be switching off, fast.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
69) Joker - Gully Brook Lane

A case of soul jazz once again trying to claim ownership. it's actually a grime instrumental, released on terrorhythm. g-funk for the dematerialised age. as things go this is a standout tune of the 2000s.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
70) Bay B Kane - Gangstress

The best g-funk jungle tune, the best hardstep tune. it was easy by late 95 to parody this stuff but Kane knew when to apply restraint and give you some cold, surgical voiding bowels choppage. if i was being a wanker I'd say this is the apotheosis of jump up, but it's pure jungle really. does not deserve to be slotted in that box even if it shares some similarities. kane was a motherfucker who rolled with the intelligence.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
72) Spragga Benz - Gooda than gold

I hear an outer space

gangsta-techno fantasy.

I actually perhaps have more sympathy than some on this forum for Kirk degiorgio's applied rhythmic technology theories. lord knows that I'm sick of Italo and its descendents being lionised in worldwide techno circles ad nauseam. but the problem is back in the 80s you had to take sides outside of London and even in some quarters certain crowds would not mix. reggae heads and soul boys, of course. Greg Wilson talks about this a bit as well in manchester, you were either a funk head or a dub head. looking back with the hindsight of rave the division looks infantile and a classic case of macho gate keeping. But it was persistent and the after effects are still noticeable. perhaps some scholars such as Eden and Droid can illustrate why this was so, illuminate the tensions. So yeah, he (kirk) missed a whole swathe of hard minimal techno experimentation in Jamaica in the 80s and 90s. and of course this fitted into the UK techno continuum.

As for this one, check the pummelling kicks in the low end triggering the heart palpitations.

bad choon.