version

The interesting question is: why did it go mainstream? How was that able to happen?

It was embarrassing reading the music press at that time - the triumphalism of it, "finally our bands are in the charts!" etc.

And it all ended up in the ludicrous press embargo on Be Here Now and loads of the journalists finally losing their jobs in 1999 or whenever.

“I think it’s the best thing we’ve done,” said guitarist Paul “Bonehead” Arthurs.

rubberdingyrapids

I hated all becks rapped songs. Prob wouldnt mind them now but they were so awful at the time. Didnt think much of tricky back then either initially, thought his music was rhythmically feeble or sonically emaciated and later realised i was half right, half wrong. But mainly my hatred was because maxinquaye got better press than illmatic or wu tang etc. Actually i hated portishead for similiar reasons, just to do with production, ie why is this hip hop influenced stuff being better regarded than premier, rza etc?

craner

Beast of Burden
The pre-Britpop context is interesting. Late-92 to late-93 was the key period (which also coincides with the darkcore era in the alternative Dissensus canon): there was the Morrisey Finsbury Park incident in August 92 and the BNP council by-election victory in the Isle of Dogs in September 1993 which sparked an Anti-Nazi League revival. This all culminated in a big anti-racism concert in Brockwell Park in May 1994.

This is the same time that Blur were creating their British Image. The best contemporary review of Modern Life is Rubbish was in Lime Lizard and it was an extended essay, basically, on this phenomenon, which opened with the very serious and outraged and anxious question of Blur: “Why ‘Britishness’? Why now?” This was never properly answered, no one even really engaged with it, until suddenly Parklife was the greatest British album since the Beatles or the Jam depending on your perspective, and then it was too late to go back to it.

Everything happened so fast in those days, one thing reacting to the previous thing, that it’s difficult to go back and unpick what happened between then and Parklife but some significant (and negative) shift occurred and British culture ended.

Unless you were listening to jungle.

craner

Beast of Burden
he was an aspiring music journalist and wrote for Leeds university's answer to NME. he interviewed sleeper. havent you noticed how he knows all about neal kulkarni and taylor parks etc too?

I did an interview with Skunk Anansie which had this long purple opening passage which concluded with me saying that the band would be much more interesting if Skin grew her hair and wore a skirt and in which I told them their songs were shit. I was convinced I was the reincarnation of Paul Morley at this point.

A few months later I had read More Brilliant than the Sun and when I interviewed Add N to X it was full of quotes from the Futurists and William Gibson and stuff.