The Grime Hall of Shame

luka

I might not have been mu but it was a similar archival retrospective compilation aimed at respectability and a collectors market. If not mu someone very similar

sadmanbarty

luke has a far higher propensity for children's tv rap than me. wu tang killed it for the most part (although about half of 36 chambers is art attack rap)

CrowleyHead

Big Narstie doesn't count because his musical career was a consistent failure. He pivoted into being a celebrity which is fair because he was bad at being a musician. Still is to be fair. Even his best musical moment is the Craig David feature where it's very much an assembled Narstie entertainment moment, like a Kurupt FM feature or something.

Jammer ultimately proved to be one of the worst.

I will say, someone beloved in grime by grime enthusiasts which I think is a weird sort of collective gaslighting: Frisco. Terrible.

luka

Me and Barty were bullying some young lad with ginger hair in the pub and we demanded to know who his favourite grime mc was and he said frisco, so we flushed his head down the toilet.

luka

Bartys definition of children's tv rap is literally anything made before the chronic lol

luka

Which means rakim for instance is children's tv but playboi carti isn't. Etc etc !

luka

I love it. It's beautiful and affecting. It makes most people cry or want to listen to Malcolm x speeches.

sadmanbarty

I love it. It's beautiful and affecting. It makes most people cry or want to listen to Malcolm x speeches.

you probably grew up while there was still a faint echo of curtis mayfield optimism in the world. its tangible for you.

sadmanbarty

also worth mentioning i'm not some huge playboi carti aficionado. i wish i was so i could make more of the barti nickname.

luka

Agree tempa t made huge inroads into the student population. Even though he was doing stuff like bottling griminal live on stage

CrowleyHead

"German Whip" is great, I won't stand for it. Dan made better grime than Big H ultimately would, and he used to only be able to rhyme his name repeatedly.

The Big H era was a dark phase of Grime. Not his actual peak MCing which obviously Skepta and JME would ravage and harvest for their own success away from him, but that ugly cynical 2nd phase of his career that was celebrated on this very board! One flow, relentlessly rambling about the cocaine he didn't sell, bleak negativity after his failed turn into road rap "MY CATS PIPES SNIFF... Nahnahnah they ain't ready for this one, they ain't ready... I SAID MY CATS PIPES SNIFF".

Awful music, beloved by white university nerds but with none of the valour of Tempa T. Tempa T at the absolute worst was a grime MC even at his worst periods whereas Big H returned to grime knowing his past in grime would undermine his attempts at rap (which unlike other grime MCs who transferred to rap like Youngs Teflon, he was awful at) and turned in blatantly morose and self-defeatist music.

Dan, even at his worst, definitely couldn't function in grime the way he should've. But there was no cynicism in his music. There wasn't the blatant self-loathing and mercenary mentality of Big H, nor was it the blatant hucksterism of your Stormzys and Daves who successfully pimped out the last wave of grime enthusiasm only to return back to the rap scene they couldn't impress as rappers in the first place! But "Grime" celebrated them for it, and so it deserved it.

CrowleyHead

<iframe width="727" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/im6iGZ9L-ZE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When Wiley screamed about people thinking they need to be like Smack DVD he was right to bemoan it. Look at this man. Soulless. Radiating misery.