The Grime Hall of Shame

forclosure

God where can i begin with this?

First if you speak to Crowl or trillium my contempt of Jammer is well known and bitter enough despite me acknowledging his achievements

I do feel if youre put Skepta and JME on the you might aswell put Big H on here them GrimeXtra sets where he would waffle on about the news over Doeboy spinnin Bazooka were incredible but otherwise maaaaaaaan i think it took "German Whip" for people to question maybe he was always bad despite arguably being influential coining Boy Better Know and that also he ammased a weird Canabis like following from Bloodline diehards (that said i suppose im affiliated cause im responsible for the title of Paper Pabs"s ep "Panama Papers" met him when i was on the way home in Wood Green nice guy)

Dot Rotten and Chip you could put on there, Snipekeedo because he was fucking terrible "future grime" and all the man who took part in that

I feel like drill has kinda exposed that theres generations of South London man who basically just wanted to be rappers but for the time being grime was hot so they had to channel their love of Papoose,G Unit and The LOX somewhere until it died down.

luka

<iframe width="727" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/im6iGZ9L-ZE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When Wiley screamed about people thinking they need to be like Smack DVD he was right to bemoan it. Look at this man. Soulless. Radiating misery.

For all that I can enjoy drill and whatever there is something fundamentally wrong about the UK doing rap. You watch something like this and want to wipe the whole thing out, pretend it never happened, go back in time and prevent giggs' parents from ever meeting

forclosure

<iframe width="727" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/im6iGZ9L-ZE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When Wiley screamed about people thinking they need to be like Smack DVD he was right to bemoan it. Look at this man. Soulless. Radiating misery.

sad thing about this is the President T freestyle before this one is really good but its not on youtube anymore

sadmanbarty

For all that I can enjoy drill and whatever there is something fundamentally wrong about the UK doing rap. You watch something like this and want to wipe the whole thing out, pretend it never happened, go back in time and prevent giggs' parents from ever meeting

it's bad.

like when americans try to do yardie flows.

jamaicans are the only ones that are immune to this. whack them on a jungle choon they sound great. they'll go on rap instrumentals and sound wicked.

sadmanbarty

i dont know if hes still on here but Mr Sama deserves a mention

he was probably crucial in selling the grime artists the narrative they'd need to do interviews in the guardian and the nme. the seed that would ultimately birth the most embarrassing album title of all time; 'prayers and gang signs'

CrowleyHead

Big H was a voyeuristic fantasy. When younger (whiter) grime fans came to grime relatively later in it's years... The period where I'm sure a lot of people who were older would consider it if not dead than proven 'finite', that audience came to it without the comprehension of garage or MC culture but with Rap Brain. Westwood's Pimp My Ride, MTV. American defined notions. Victims of media imperialism. I think once you get past the initial fascination you're able to detect a 'softness' in Grime that it didn't try to be like the Americans that was a constant tug of war within grime. You heard certain MCs mock that in others, like Trim once saying about Flowdan's inability to play soccer "He plays basketball because he thinks he's American.". Granted this is Trim, a man who also thinks Eminem is a greater MC than Dizzee so that sickness can haunt anyone and everyone in all kinds of directions.

In any case, Big H was likewise weak. He watched Road Rap happen where it was clear Grime MCs weren't respected for not being emblematic of Street Life or whatever and he craved that validation. He became the REAL ONE in Grime, with videos mocking Wiley and Skepta as they went commercial claiming they weren't 'real' anymore as he returned to grime tail between legs because he was a hack rapper. That chapter wasn't acknowledged to the younger grime audience because who cared, it wasn't Grime. Yet as Grime was clearly obsessed with proving itself as a commercial force, there was Big H to happily court these voyeurs. "I am the real, I am who you seek. I won't betray you the way Dizzee and Wiley and so many others did." The joke being they were never these fans to betray. So in turn their mutual mailiase fed on each other as H provided monotonous tales of Cocaine, guns. No real creativity even to it compared to other North London types who'd mine similar content like Wretch or Castro. Just a hollow note.

In retrospect thank god for P Money humiliating him repeatedly. P Money's a boring and very safe version of grime based on utility but at his worst he'd never be as shameful as Big H was.

forclosure

saw a tweet ages ago asked the question if any of the UK rap guys feel any sense of embarassment that they have to put "UK" at the beginning of the name of their genre

Thats more withering a critique on the entire genre than all the jokes americans make about accents and beans on toast put together

forclosure

he was probably crucial in selling the grime artists the narrative they'd need to do interviews in the guardian and the nme. the seed that would ultimately birth the most embarrassing album title of all time; 'prayers and gang signs'

This and the idea that grime came from "council estate culture" whatever that means rather than black youts

forclosure

Yardie flows sound good on anything cause their the foundation that and for them man its about riding a riddim first and formost its why you can suggest the idea for them to spit ontop of some black hole dark tune or some empty wood block thing and it nearly always sounds good

sadmanbarty

butterz did the thing of repackaging grime as garage. they managed to make it tenable for garage revivalists.

from there you get your flava d's and so forth.

CrowleyHead

Web/Odai brings up a good point. "Council Estate Culture" is clearly designed to back away from the idea that Grime is a black thing, and there's a bizarre sort of attempt by certain white people involved with grime to insist they're quite necessary and have always been inherently allowed, that there's no sense of privilege or the sort. Logan Sama once telling Lady Chann he considers 'punk' an element of Grime only for her and various others he clearly wasn't friendly with to laugh for the rest of the day. You'd never see say, Discarda attempt to assert his place in Grime despite being just as jarring a presence.

sadmanbarty

i know we've mentioned it before, but grime albums are truly awful.

i suppose what's happened to grime in the last 10 years is that the whole of the culture and the music has become all the rubbish bits about grime albums.