The Geezer

sadmanbarty

barty, do you realize that around once per month you slag off someone from bermondsey? usually it's a girl, who often seems to be described as drunk and a bit crass. as a yank, I have no idea what bermondsey symbolizes, but it doesn't seem like a particularly enjoyable place. perhaps neighborhood representative of a declining London?

bermondsey is one of the last strongholds of the white working class in london.

during the 1970's it was a hotbed for a far right group called the national front. given its proximity to areas of london with large black populations lots of racial conflict emanated from bermondsey.

it is also where fans of millwall football club live. millwall is notorious throughout the uk for its hooligan violence. they're associated with the chant "no one likes us and we don't care"

when my parents divorced, my dad rented a cheap place there for three years while he looked for a proper middle class house to live in. i also went to 'high' school there.

i love bermondsey. i love bermondsey girls. they're like every contradicting archetype of femininity coexisting in one person; amazonian warrior goddesses, virgin marys (it has a huge teen pregnancy problem), fighting in kabbab shops, but also loving makeup. they wear so much fake tan that the white girls look like nicki minaj. i also love their honesty over there.

the english middle class are incredibly disingenuous. i feel emotionally claustrophobic around them. whereas with bermodsey people you can just be yourself. you can embrace your id.

Leo

wow, that was pretty heartfelt, thanks. I guess I misread it then!

ironically, the only time I've been there is to visit that massive white cube space. hopefully it hasn't led to much gentrification.

luka

corpsey.

beads on the car headrest. xenophobic holidays in cyprus. he's got exquisite geezer body.

Creatine. Banana milk. Baked beans. Fitness first subscription. Loads and loads of kingsmill toast. Half a loaf a day.

luka

Feel geezer is London and Home Counties specific ultimately. You can be a Manc lad. Some would say you can even be a uni lad. It's more slippery term. Some lads grow up to earn gravitas and become a geezer, but not all of them.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
had to look up the definition to fully grasp the concept of the top geezer but now can someone explain to me what "art school pretending to be geezer" is? that some sort of ironic class appropriation?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
american's can't be geezer's because they're too aspirational and positive.

geezer's a biological weapons produced to destroy self-esteems and crush dreams.

banter concentrated to such a potent degree so as to become psychological torture.

I don't even know if this makes sense or is true but its hilarious and I am in awe of your chutzpah

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Luke still hasn't explained the difference between a lad and a geezer.

Geezer is way older and also used as a term for cranky old man but that might be more of a US thing. For me it evokes a cheeky chappy, old school Street urchin type with a potential bent for petty criminality or at least a lot of anti establishment behaviour and lots of time spent at the pub full of banter and sharp wise cracks. A lad on the other hand is like a sub geezer who did their major growing up inspired by yobbish drinking culture and loaded magazine. Johnny Vaughan maybe encapsulating this as well as any other person I can think of. Geezers have been mooching about for decades where as the current version of a lad (which is also an old term but just used to mean boy) is more of a 90s invention when all of a sudden, britpop, figures like Robbie Williams, Keith Allen and Guy Ritchie et al, came along and redefined the modern 'man.' Somehow there was this transition where a hybrid of some elements of the geezer, especially the cheeky part, mixed in with low brow football stand banter and The Sun based info diet became what we now know as a lad. Over time he has continued to degrade in quality of bants and general wit where at this point a lad is basically anyone in a pair of skinny fit pants who thinks they're funny for saying some shit one liner/catcchphrase, shouting baaaants and then all the rest of their simian mates laugh along while secretly not knowing if it was even funny. The lad is basically a dolt at this point. But it's an easy cover and generates a force field for the sub geezer to exist in and provide a sense of self.

Geezer - cutting remarks, sharp wits, street knowledge. Would probably make it out alive through charm if airdropped into a dangerous 3rd world slum.

Lad - blunt minded, almost non sensical humour, relying on conditioned response based communication. Would get turned into a fire rug if air dropped into a suburb of Moscow.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Geezers abound in Love Island

They often turn out to be the nicest people on these shows, too

I mean the genuine cockerney geezers, not the lads