The Geezer

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Ah shit yeah, the bloke, the chain piece linking the geezer and the lad. And Johnny Vaughan was most definitely a bloke. Someone from that UK show misfits is a better representation of a lad.

luka

So what are we talking about here? What pathways are we English allowed through life? How are we Allowed to relate to our peers? Is it good enough?

blissblogger

geezer means something completely different in the US

it means like an old fart... blokes on a porch drinking cans of beer and complaining about shit - the modern world, modern music, their sports team etc etc

'Geezers Need Excitement' by the Streets must have been puzzling to US listeners

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Luke still hasn't explained the difference between a lad and a geezer.

I wanted to ask this when I saw the title of the thread. Are geezers and lads closely related, like species within a genus? Or is it a case of parallel evolution, like the Tasmanian wolf?

Whoever made the point that you don't really get geezers outside of SE England was probably onto something.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Geezer is East London/Essex, essentially. And can just mean "boy" ("who's that geezer?").

Just like in many places "lad" is more like "boy" (i.e. male children, teenagers and young adults) than the macho beery NUTS mag reader.

But adding "a" in front of them ("what a geeze", "what a lad!") changes things - nobody really says "what a geezer" ironically, unlike "lad" (its very easily an insult). Otherwise it can mean "legend"/"hero".

And thus ends my catechism.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Geezers are generally older aren't they? It comes with an implication of having been around the block a few times and seen some things. Lads are probably under thirty, definitely under 40.

And geezer feels more like an all-defining thing. F'rinstance you can be a lad while working in IT support so long as you give it the big ones on a Friday night, but to be a geezer you basically have to be self-employed, at something legal or otherwise.

catalog

Remember when tricky brought back bionic from London posse and rechristened him 'mad dog' he was a proper geezer. That dude likes the girls no mistake. Hung out with Steve hyper d iirc.

Although I prefer the 'mission accomplished' ep that's the best single bit of work tricky has done I reckon.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Geezer is East London/Essex, essentially. And can just mean "boy" ("who's that geezer?").

Just like in many places "lad" is more like "boy" (i.e. male children, teenagers and young adults) than the macho beery NUTS mag reader.

But adding "a" in front of them ("what a geeze", "what a lad!") changes things - nobody really says "what a geezer" ironically, unlike "lad" (its very easily an insult). Otherwise it can mean "legend"/"hero".

And thus ends my catechism.

Yeah, I like it shortened to a single syllable.

AWWIGH GEEZE

luka

Riko Dan
@TheRikoDan
·
13m
We not gonna talk about the Cameroon bird spitting on one of our
@Lionesses

Well fuck that I will.

Dirty bastards 😒