Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: The Mysterious and Magical World of Webeschatology

fuzzy tape footage of a japanese car ad/E3 show room from the late 90s overlayed with some dull ambient music or slowed down 80s funk nah no thanks bredrin

Nomeansno are fascinating because they got more philosophical later on talking about conformity and shit like that but early on youve got songs like "Dad" which are all about the horrors of toxic masculinity, they work on a level of layers where they could be incredible dark and earnest but cause of the degree of darkness your pushed into comedy springs from it (the album world wasnt built in a day is on is one of their weirder albums, the band wernt big on it but i really like it)

I mean one of their albums is named after a Heidegger quote

They were technical and could play well but all in service of the song and especially John Wrights drumming is always doing interesting shit but firmly in pocket

"Dad" also has maybe the best very last line ive heard on a punk song

One thing i did forget to bring up that i might aswell do now is that i know some of the Cardiacs lot good people its through them weirdly ive had alot of interactions with musicians who low key are fans of em or friends one of them being 6 time snooker legend Steve Davis who i have met in person is friends on facebook and with my man Kavus (lead guitarist for Knifeworld/Monsoon Basoon) for about a year or two had a radio show called The Interesting Alternative Show that played all manner of weird music on a monday evening thats how i came across that Oxbow track aswell as Tipographica,Tin Huey,Thinking Plague, the first Dollar Brand solo piano album (they had OG Chris Cutler special guest on one episode) and all sorts of stuff

I think you can find them on mixcloud but wanted to bring this up to add some context and also say yes you lot know somebody who has a direct connection to one of the people who was involved in making Snooker Loopy

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WebEschatology For This Useful Post:

Secretly well connected! The network King!

Quote Originally Posted by WebEschatology View Post
    34) Oxbow - Shes a Find

Ill be amazed if anyone is able to get through this and not feel emotionally exhausted by the end of it

Eugene Robinson is the end result of a particular vocal style where you dont really understand what hes saying but you feel everything he says

David Yow minus the enema jokes, Mike IX Williams but less scummy

a tour de force

This was my favourite experience from the list the most confounding was the van der Graf generator. I cannot get my head around that at all.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

WebEschatology I'm guessing this is common knoedge at this point but did you know Steve Davis is a legit techno DJ along side the radio stuff nowadays?

Last edited by pattycakes_; 26-06-2019 at 10:09 PM.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Quote Originally Posted by WebEschatology View Post
    One thing i did forget to bring up that i might aswell do now is that i know some of the Cardiacs lot good people its through them weirdly ive had alot of interactions with musicians who low key are fans of em or friends one of them being 6 time snooker legend Steve Davis who i have met in person is friends on facebook and with my man Kavus (lead guitarist for Knifeworld/Monsoon Basoon) for about a year or two had a radio show called The Interesting Alternative Show that played all manner of weird music on a monday evening thats how i came across that Oxbow track aswell as Tipographica,Tin Huey,Thinking Plague, the first Dollar Brand solo piano album (they had OG Chris Cutler special guest on one episode) and all sorts of stuff

I think you can find them on mixcloud but wanted to bring this up to add some context and also say yes you lot know somebody who has a direct connection to one of the people who was involved in making Snooker Loopy
    ha ha ha. i remember that show, great vibes they played my mates noise techno project chrononautz and the cd had jam on it and steve davis had to wipe it off.

Steve has good taste you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

Steve Davis is a collector. First of all he was famous for his soul collection but my guess is he bought every soul record ever made and had to move on to fresh pastures.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

pretty much yeah, he's a huge soul head.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    WebEschatology I'm guessing this is common knoedge at this point but did you know Steve Davis is a legit techno DJ along side the radio stuff nowadays?

yep and him Kavus and some guitarist whose name escapes me are putting out an album together this year,put out the first single a while back thats like 10 minutes long

all i can say is good for him i approve of making that kind of weird late in life career move

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WebEschatology For This Useful Post:

What was baffling about VDGG luke? if its the vocals then yeah thats Hammill for you

got to meet Daevid Allen out of Gong once at a Guapo gig down Elephant & Castle before he died

couldnt believe how tall that breh was fuckin hell

100% the vocals I don't understand. Mind you a lot of your pix I can't stomach the vocals. Wyatt, Pere Ubu, beefheart, loads of other ones too. this is a big dividing line between us! Silliness is something I struggle with in music.

E-40 is another one. Does my head in.

like i said blame Busta thats where it all stems from lol

i wouldve assumed Lungfish wouldve grabbed you cause theres a zonked out intensity with that one, Spacemen 3 but without all the heroin and 60s worship

Esther Phillips did a great version of From a whisper to a scream

see now i dont find Robert Wyatts singing silly at all its more affecting than silly, Kevin Ayers i could see that cause he was always a slacker hippie fuckin off to Morroco when he didnt want to make music (and boning John Cales wife)
    Last edited by WebEschatology; 26-06-2019 at 10:33 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to WebEschatology For This Useful Post: