The Mysterious and Magical World of Webeschatology

forclosure

6 Music of all places there was a window where id sometimes see if there was anything on there (Craig Charles is a legend imo and it aint cause of Red Dwarf)

think they were talking about The Wedding Present and their name got brought up and i thought "im not passing on that"

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
42) So Solid Crew - Haters

its all about the hook on this one, aint gonna lie kinda have a soft spot for Skat D

In a weird way this and Broken Silence are similiar topic wise but where as the latter is more like them against the media and its sombre to a point that hurts it this one is more them against the roads innit

UK Garage was something I just wasn't all that into at the time, and I've never subsequently been able to get into it in a big way, but the beat to this track is and always has been GREAT. The vocals I can take or leave (never really gelled personally with that 'hibbity bibbity boppity' style of mc-ing), but the beat is amazing, raw yet crisp at the same time.

The Dilemma instrumental was pretty amazing as well, probably one of the earliest grime tunes, even if the name wasn't in use yet:

luka

Looking for that post where you said people binged on fun music till they were sick of it. Can you remember where it is?

luka

That struck a chord. That was definitely my trajectory. That's what the hip-hop culture wars thread was about. I definitely ate too many sweet things, started feeling sick. Not just in relation to rap but across the board.

luka

On an autobiographical level it was partly he consequence of a relationship breaking down a few years back and when that happens it's a great time to take a look at yourself and go, where have I gone wrong in life? When did this elective idiocy impose itself? How did I get so boorish? And correspondingly, how can I get back to being as smart and in tune as I was as a teenager?

sadmanbarty

this list was wicked. well done web. i was on holiday so missed it annoyingly.

slime season 2 is my favourite thug, so glad it's on here. loved sweet to the belly, it's like kartel being wryly aware he's this serpantine figure emerging to corrupt jamiaca's soul. the heartless pick was my favourite. we need a heartless crew thread. they're true magic. a trinity. the three faits.

forclosure

off the top of my head Nomeansno,Van Dyke Parks,Lungfish,The Necks,Starlito,Elucid all the game music

Travis Porter(definitly considering some of the stuff we have talked about on here),Cardiacs(i know some on here will hate em),VDGG,Residents,Skip Spence, Earth

but their all worthy of merit and talk imo

sadmanbarty

Nomeansno- this is very white boy ironic detachment. afraid to be honest with the world so you disguise yourself behind layers of irony.

van dyke- this is another one in the hyperreality strain of your list. music that isn't truly tethered to the world but only to other media.

the necks- the hyperreality thing again, but this time not as pastiche but rather assimilation and fusion. fuse every influence they'e ever had.

game music- hyperreality.

a large strain of the list speaks to the internet generation. a cocoon of media; in fact a world in which the social even becomes media. plato's cave on a luminous screen. it speaks to people more familiar with the escapist worlds they inhabit than the real world. music for games and for memes and for tv shows rather than for first kisses and funerals and parties. everything a reflection rather than the real thing.

forclosure

you put it this way you think i would be into vaporwave but i think the music is bad and its one of those things thats more interesting to talk about than listen to

give me a Screw Tape

forclosure

fuzzy tape footage of a japanese car ad/E3 show room from the late 90s overlayed with some dull ambient music or slowed down 80s funk nah no thanks bredrin

forclosure

Nomeansno are fascinating because they got more philosophical later on talking about conformity and shit like that but early on youve got songs like "Dad" which are all about the horrors of toxic masculinity, they work on a level of layers where they could be incredible dark and earnest but cause of the degree of darkness your pushed into comedy springs from it (the album world wasnt built in a day is on is one of their weirder albums, the band wernt big on it but i really like it)

I mean one of their albums is named after a Heidegger quote

They were technical and could play well but all in service of the song and especially John Wrights drumming is always doing interesting shit but firmly in pocket

"Dad" also has maybe the best very last line ive heard on a punk song

forclosure

One thing i did forget to bring up that i might aswell do now is that i know some of the Cardiacs lot good people its through them weirdly ive had alot of interactions with musicians who low key are fans of em or friends one of them being 6 time snooker legend Steve Davis who i have met in person is friends on facebook and with my man Kavus (lead guitarist for Knifeworld/Monsoon Basoon) for about a year or two had a radio show called The Interesting Alternative Show that played all manner of weird music on a monday evening thats how i came across that Oxbow track aswell as Tipographica,Tin Huey,Thinking Plague, the first Dollar Brand solo piano album (they had OG Chris Cutler special guest on one episode) and all sorts of stuff

I think you can find them on mixcloud but wanted to bring this up to add some context and also say yes you lot know somebody who has a direct connection to one of the people who was involved in making Snooker Loopy

luka

34) Oxbow - Shes a Find

Ill be amazed if anyone is able to get through this and not feel emotionally exhausted by the end of it

Eugene Robinson is the end result of a particular vocal style where you dont really understand what hes saying but you feel everything he says

David Yow minus the enema jokes, Mike IX Williams but less scummy

a tour de force

This was my favourite experience from the list the most confounding was the van der Graf generator. I cannot get my head around that at all.