thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Its a quick acknowledgement of appreciation and also allows you to disagree with someone whilst giving them a respectful nod.

However isn't that predicated on what a given individual in a given circumstance corresponding to a given emotional or mental state brings to the table? It could be read as the reverse, it could be read as exclusion or grudges. it adds an extra dimension of personality to the forum rather than keeping it a fairly collective endeavour.

john eden

male pale and stale
It's toxic. a form of oneupmanship social capital. we all use it subconsciously to big up people (with the loudist voices / I'm not absolving myself here) but that can mean not engaging with people properly or really having to think through what they say. or more prosaically it being halled out as a form of character judgment. It does not indicate that the post is actually useful, it's analogous to head nodding. this is why i propose that we get rid of the button so that more quoting, measured and thoughtful responses can be encouraged.

It is all those things, but removing it won't make engagement here better. In the other place before they had "likes" you just got one line posts saying "agree".

the like button here isn't the main reason why there isn't as much quoting, measured and thoughtful responses, engagement etc in my view:

There are less people here now, which I would say is a combination of factors including

a. more endorphine hits from social media
b. the association of this place with a particular moment in time which has now gone (bloggers into grime, pre-facebook, etc)
c. the intensification of the capitalist crisis meaning less of us can fuck around on the internet all day
d. people who were posters in the heyday are now older and might be interested in different things or are cynical about the value of online discourse, or have become professors or something
e. spending 9-5 in a windowless bunker looking at screens, maybe Nina has a point about going outside
f. we're all going to die in a tidal wave of human pollution in the next twenty years unless there is an incredibly violent worldwide proletarian revolution so what is the point

john eden

male pale and stale
also I rarely look at the tags but they seem particularly shitty and cowardly and unfunny and in-jokey

But maybe that's me being humourless.

Leo

It is all those things, but removing it won't make engagement here better. In the other place before they had "likes" you just got one line posts saying "agree".

the like button here isn't the main reason why there isn't as much quoting, measured and thoughtful responses, engagement etc in my view:

There are less people here now, which I would say is a combination of factors including

a. more endorphine hits from social media
b. the association of this place with a particular moment in time which has now gone (bloggers into grime, pre-facebook, etc)
c. the intensification of the capitalist crisis meaning less of us can fuck around on the internet all day
d. people who were posters in the heyday are now older and might be interested in different things or are cynical about the value of online discourse, or have become professors or something
e. spending 9-5 in a windowless bunker looking at screens, maybe Nina has a point about going outside
f. we're all going to die in a tidal wave of human pollution in the next twenty years unless there is an incredibly violent worldwide proletarian revolution so what is the point

am I allowed to "ta" this comment?

john eden

male pale and stale
It is good to think about and question the structure/organisation of things though.

We've been through a bunch of social experiments and it will be interesting to see how they screw us up as we get older.

I think mainly the drug experiences will be beneficial. On balance.

Not sure about social media interaction, perhaps it's too early to tell. Glad I knew a world before it.

droid

There is a tendency here to micro analyse every post and interaction, a constant monitoring of the temperature of the forum and the social dynamics and relationships between people. Im guilty of this myself - and it's good up to a point, but if we're at the stage were every thank you (or the absence of one) is dissected and dwelled on then I think it's useful to take a step back and get some perspective. It may seem significant in the moment but I really don't think it matters very much.

mvuent

Void Dweller
There is a tendency here to micro analyse every post and interaction, a constant monitoring of the temperature of the forum and the social dynamics and relationships between people. Im guilty of this myself - and it's good up to a point, but if we're at the stage were every thank you (or the absence of one) is dissected and dwelled on then I think it's useful to take a step back and get some perspective. It may seem significant in the moment but I really don't think it matters very much.
well that's your opinion. personally I happen to think it's up there with eden's tidal wave of human pollution.

mvuent

Void Dweller
anyways I'd be fine with axing the thank you button, despite its clear upsides. I agree with third that it's worth thinking about at least.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
It's kind of an empty gesture so I'm with third but in the end it probably won't change much. Certainly won't make people talk more

CrowleyHead

I'm for eliminating it. I'm also for eliminating the whole board, but realistically we can settle with the like function.

mvuent

Void Dweller
anyways I'd be fine with axing the thank you button, despite its clear upsides. I agree with third that it's worth thinking about at least.
wait this probably sounds more tepid that I intended. I was trying to say I'm for it.