Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: axe the thank you button

i assume most users aren't reading any power dynamics into the like button. imagine most people see it as people being nice to each other and having fun.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    Jesus, this is like being in the SWP.
    Well if it was down to me I'd just message the mods and tell them to do it with personal reasons as to why. And I could probably get my way. I'm not interested in that however.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    i assume most users aren't reading any power dynamics into the like button. imagine most people see it as people being nice to each other and having fun.
    That may very well be the case. however just because the common sense says they don't exist, doesn't mean they don't.

Furthermore I am uncomfortable about making assumptions on behalf of most users because A) a significant amount of users just lurk. B) We haven't asked most users what their views are. I don't want this to turn into a faction fight. I would appreciate if droid, for instance, could elucidate on what he perceives to be the downsides of the button.
    Last edited by thirdform; 07-06-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    I respect islamists

Meh. The usual - lack of engagement, laziness etc., but I think they are far outweighed by most of the points Barty makes. Its a quick acknowledgement of appreciation and also allows you to disagree with someone whilst giving them a respectful nod. I've seen this implemented on a load of forums and I really don't think its a problem at this scale. Perhaps if we had hundreds of users with factions competing for dominance it would be issue, but not in this context.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    this is my feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Its a quick acknowledgement of appreciation and also allows you to disagree with someone whilst giving them a respectful nod.
    However isn't that predicated on what a given individual in a given circumstance corresponding to a given emotional or mental state brings to the table? It could be read as the reverse, it could be read as exclusion or grudges. it adds an extra dimension of personality to the forum rather than keeping it a fairly collective endeavour.
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    this is my feeling.
    That's fair enough.
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    It's toxic. a form of oneupmanship social capital. we all use it subconsciously to big up people (with the loudist voices / I'm not absolving myself here) but that can mean not engaging with people properly or really having to think through what they say. or more prosaically it being halled out as a form of character judgment. It does not indicate that the post is actually useful, it's analogous to head nodding. this is why i propose that we get rid of the button so that more quoting, measured and thoughtful responses can be encouraged.
    It is all those things, but removing it won't make engagement here better. In the other place before they had "likes" you just got one line posts saying "agree".

the like button here isn't the main reason why there isn't as much quoting, measured and thoughtful responses, engagement etc in my view:

There are less people here now, which I would say is a combination of factors including

a. more endorphine hits from social media
    b. the association of this place with a particular moment in time which has now gone (bloggers into grime, pre-facebook, etc)
    c. the intensification of the capitalist crisis meaning less of us can fuck around on the internet all day
    d. people who were posters in the heyday are now older and might be interested in different things or are cynical about the value of online discourse, or have become professors or something
    e. spending 9-5 in a windowless bunker looking at screens, maybe Nina has a point about going outside
    f. we're all going to die in a tidal wave of human pollution in the next twenty years unless there is an incredibly violent worldwide proletarian revolution so what is the point

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

also I rarely look at the tags but they seem particularly shitty and cowardly and unfunny and in-jokey

But maybe that's me being humourless.

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    It is all those things, but removing it won't make engagement here better. In the other place before they had "likes" you just got one line posts saying "agree".

the like button here isn't the main reason why there isn't as much quoting, measured and thoughtful responses, engagement etc in my view:

There are less people here now, which I would say is a combination of factors including

a. more endorphine hits from social media
    b. the association of this place with a particular moment in time which has now gone (bloggers into grime, pre-facebook, etc)
    c. the intensification of the capitalist crisis meaning less of us can fuck around on the internet all day
    d. people who were posters in the heyday are now older and might be interested in different things or are cynical about the value of online discourse, or have become professors or something
    e. spending 9-5 in a windowless bunker looking at screens, maybe Nina has a point about going outside
    f. we're all going to die in a tidal wave of human pollution in the next twenty years unless there is an incredibly violent worldwide proletarian revolution so what is the point
    am I allowed to "ta" this comment?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    am I allowed to "ta" this comment?
    oh completely, I am shameless on that count :-)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

It is good to think about and question the structure/organisation of things though.

We've been through a bunch of social experiments and it will be interesting to see how they screw us up as we get older.

I think mainly the drug experiences will be beneficial. On balance.

Not sure about social media interaction, perhaps it's too early to tell. Glad I knew a world before it.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

The ambiguity could be removed with the introduction of a 'no thank you' button.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    The ambiguity could be removed with the introduction of a 'no thank you' button.
    A 'ta-ta!' button.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

There is a tendency here to micro analyse every post and interaction, a constant monitoring of the temperature of the forum and the social dynamics and relationships between people. Im guilty of this myself - and it's good up to a point, but if we're at the stage were every thank you (or the absence of one) is dissected and dwelled on then I think it's useful to take a step back and get some perspective. It may seem significant in the moment but I really don't think it matters very much.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post: