Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: axe the thank you button

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    There is a tendency here to micro analyse every post and interaction, a constant monitoring of the temperature of the forum and the social dynamics and relationships between people. Im guilty of this myself - and it's good up to a point, but if we're at the stage were every thank you (or the absence of one) is dissected and dwelled on then I think it's useful to take a step back and get some perspective. It may seem significant in the moment but I really don't think it matters very much.
    well that's your opinion. personally I happen to think it's up there with eden's tidal wave of human pollution.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mvuent For This Useful Post:

anyways I'd be fine with axing the thank you button, despite its clear upsides. I agree with third that it's worth thinking about at least.

It's kind of an empty gesture so I'm with third but in the end it probably won't change much. Certainly won't make people talk more
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:

I'm for eliminating it. I'm also for eliminating the whole board, but realistically we can settle with the like function.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CrowleyHead For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyHead View Post
    I'm for eliminating it. I'm also for eliminating the whole board, but realistically we can settle with the like function.
    You know you're allowed to just, like, not use it?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quitting a forum is up there with drugs wrt difficulty
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Quote Originally Posted by mvuent View Post
    anyways I'd be fine with axing the thank you button, despite its clear upsides. I agree with third that it's worth thinking about at least.
    wait this probably sounds more tepid that I intended. I was trying to say I'm for it.

Ive been thinking about this and have now swung around to third's proposal. Kill it.

I also suggest we anonymise posts

The birth of Dissenschan

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

The like button has been a positive overall imo, a social lubricant that has, I'd argue, helped to smooth over a few arguments here. I'd be sad to see its demise too. There's no comparison to the facebook like - it's an altogether better class of appreciation than that.

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    c. the intensification of the capitalist crisis meaning less of us can fuck around on the internet all day
    too true - sometimes I think I'm imagining it, but work in the 2010s really is shittier than it was in the 2000s, isn't it (and not just nostalgia, or personal circumstances)? I'm quite disspirited by the way a certain work culture that people mocked in my earlier working years, has seemed to gain an almost total victory in many workplaces.

I have to say I find I get more endorphin hits from this place than from social media though - i feel like i've become a bit immune to facebook in particular.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 09-07-2019 at 04:43 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post: