baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The like button has been a positive overall imo, a social lubricant that has, I'd argue, helped to smooth over a few arguments here. I'd be sad to see its demise too. There's no comparison to the facebook like - it's an altogether better class of appreciation than that.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
c. the intensification of the capitalist crisis meaning less of us can fuck around on the internet all day

too true - sometimes I think I'm imagining it, but work in the 2010s really is shittier than it was in the 2000s, isn't it (and not just nostalgia, or personal circumstances)? I'm quite disspirited by the way a certain work culture that people mocked in my earlier working years, has seemed to gain an almost total victory in many workplaces.

I have to say I find I get more endorphin hits from this place than from social media though - i feel like i've become a bit immune to facebook in particular.

Last edited:

sufi

lala
The like button has been a positive overall imo, a social lubricant that has, I'd argue, helped to smooth over a few arguments here. I'd be sad to see its demise too. There's no comparison to the facebook like - it's an altogether better class of appreciation than that.

iirc it was requested at some point? the implementation is a bit crap tbh, e.g. it might be nice if you could check who has thanked you but i don't think that's possible is it?

obvs the ta button doesn't particularly track you like the evil fb button

sufi

lala
It was more fun when you could still see which members had viewed the thread cos it made it easier to guess who wrote which tags

sorry to be slow to reply about tags - they are not really anonymous btw the site records who posted what tag in the backend.

So, tediously, if people are affronted by tags about them we could reveal who posted the offending tags, i guess?

but best if everyone is kind to one another.:love:
or does the collective feel we just dump tags? (that would be a shame)

(i didn't realise that "who viewed the thread" thing had dropped off - i'll investigate)

luka

The anonymity is essential or you don't get tags. It lets people have a pop without a comeback. Very vital.

luka

I get my fair share of snaps and I'm happy with it. I think it's good very empowering for the people. It's like graffiti that appears on a wall. G. Davis is Innicent. Free Nelson Mandela.

Last edited:

version

I love the tags tbh. The anonymity makes it even funnier as you just end up with this barrage of ridiculous and disconnected phrases attached to the discussion.

version

version is an anonymous arse, version is awful, version was not the culprit, version's knob dissapears like his posts, versions got a microwinky

version

I can't really think of any I've seen that have been outright nasty, they all just seem silly and made in jest to me. I don't get targeted very often though so I guess it could be different if you kept seeing yourself mentioned.

sadmanbarty

I can't really think of any I've seen that have been outright nasty, they all just seem silly and made in jest to me. .

this is it really.

dissensus is split between users who assume that we’re all one big group of mates who are familiar and affectionate with one another and thus can be quite loose and open those who don’t share those assumptions. thats where you get this divide between those who get offended and those of us who are blindsided and baffled when people get upset.

in my grumpier moments of course i characterise other's reactions as being illegitimate and even disingenuous (though to be fair this is usually in response to people laying the blame solely on one side of a given spat). thats not very good of me.

given that it's by and large the newest arrivals who revel most in the chumminess, i wonder if the tentativeness and cautiousness of other users is a holdover from older incarnations of dissensus when there were more users (so it worked less like a friendship group and more like a public space) and where (it seems to me) genuine nastiness and animosity developed between users in a way it hasn’t during my tenure.

don’t know what the solution is. i don’t think it’d be particularly desirable to make dissensus less personal and its always a stupid idea to tell people not to take things so negatively. it might just be that we have to live with the fact that every few months there’s a bit of a blowout. possibly we should be more aware of who you can be open with and who you can’t, though it’d be sad and exclusionary to divide the forum like that (and often the things that upset people are so incomprehensible and unforeseeable to the offender that this might not be possible).

doesn't matter too much right now though, dissensus has been great in the last few days.

mvuent

Void Dweller
I'm still in favor of this proposal. Now more than originally, in fact.

yeah i totally agree that it often is a nice gesture of support.

personally though, if i really think about it, the supportive gestures that have genuinely meant something to me, that i remembered, have not been likes but articulated engagement and acknowledgement.

and yeah, there's no fundamental difference between liking someone's post and saying "good point". but i do think that if we had to do the latter, we might more frequently add another thought in--and would be less inclined to interpret the absence of such outright validation as rejection (though maybe that's just me and Corpsey lol), since people would probably say "good point" more selectively, not so much as a common courtesy.

so i don't know exactly what would come of a boycott, but i think after a while it might actually lead a better atmosphere: more fluent and populated conversations, and fewer (or less defined) assumptions of what other people think of what you're saying. always having you head in the right place. i could be wildly projecting tho