Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Job Interviews

Quote Originally Posted by poetix View Post
    Basic "inner game" tip: don't be too attached to the outcome. You'd like it, but you can take it or leave it.
    I've found this effective, perhaps because I've never really interviewed for a job I genuinely wanted

But yes, telling myself I don't really care anyway substantially reduces my nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I'm self-employed, so my story relates to a meeting for a potential project (which is similar to a job interview). the guy who I met with had apparently cut himself shaving that morning, and had a small wad of tissue stuck to his face to stem the bleeding. it wasn't an oversight, he obviously knew it was there, I guess he had no choice.

cutting yourself shaving happens sometimes, not a big deal. the weird thing was he never mentioned it, so there was this odd unspoken tension for the entire meeting (I imagine if I were in his shoes, I'd have made a joke about it to diffuse the situation). and of course, I found myself continually focusing on the small bloody wad of tissue attached to his face while he explained his company's work for a particular client and how the firm sets itself apart from competitors. it was almost farcical, felt like I was on some hidden-camera TV show where they film a person in an absurd situation to see how they react.
    I bet he sticks a small wad of tissue with a dot of red ink on it to his face before conducting every interview.

"Damn, he was really promising - but, like most of them, he failed the 'shaving cut' test. Oh well, send in the next one please, Karen."
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 13-06-2019 at 09:19 AM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

Leo

Craner: just read a load of Modern Toss cartoons. A ton of them are about job interviews.

_20190612_221428.JPG
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Remember that you are also interviewing them. Have some questions to ask at the end.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

My old mate which is now very successful told me that he did an interview and nervously tweaked a hair he discovered on his neck as he was chatting. When he got home to depilate he realised that every time he had tugged that mutant hair, if was like a little fleshy pinnacle was popping out of him.

So try not to be wierd is a useful tip maybe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sufi For This Useful Post:

But an actually useful tip that I have used successfully is to take notes when they ask you a question, if you are brave enough. Ask/tell them that's what you will be doing at the start
    That slows things right down, establishing psychological domination over the panel, but more helpfully it overcomes the inevitable brain freeze as you try and recall the 3rd thing that you wanted to say about the topic.
    They ask a question, you jot your note of the 3 things you want to talk about before you start talking, there will be an awkward silence while they wait expectantly, and then refer to the note when you answer - it can even create the impression that you're on top of things, an in control management operator type, quite simple but it does take a bit of nerve

Honestly that's a great tip

My version of catalog's advice is
    Show you understand,
    Give an example,
    Don't bullshit too much

Always ask them to repeat at least one of the questions, especially if you veer off, or forget what you needed to say

Prepare in advance 3 things to say about whatever they put in the jd and always have some questions for them, they always ask if you have any questions at the end and if you are not too cheesed off with the whole thing you can pretend that you are checking out whether they fit your criteria

With these techniquez I tend to get on better at interviews than jobs

Your brain is pretty together craner, you will waltz through it
    Last edited by sufi; 13-06-2019 at 11:56 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sufi For This Useful Post:

Thanks Sufi and John!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

i got some good advice about asking questions from someone where i didn't get the job. she said i had wasted my question. she said you should basically use it as an opportunity to show off something that has maybe not come up. so try to ask them a hard question, maybe about a choice they've made with regard to how they do things, where they could have gone another way or something, if you can glean such a thing from the website or what you know about them. it could backfire, if you don't actually know what you are talking about, but if not, it can work well, as it demonstrates your thinking a bit. the other thing to remember about asking questions is that if you genuinely don't have anyone, its ok to just say that, or say that it's been answered in the course of the interview.

"Don't bullshit too much" is good advice.

Bullshit just the right amount.

Actually, if we're doing serious advice, one thing that someone told me that made a lot of sense is the following - if they ask you what your weaknesses are, don't say a character flaw or something like "I'm lazy" or "I get angry easily" cos that can't be improved, say instead "I'm not good at Excel" or Powerpoint or something cos they'll be like that's no big deal we can just train you.

Thanks for all the help!

It went well enough, although I have a suspicion the questions were geared towards a different kind of candidate, so not really confident I will get it.

I knicked my motto for the day from the BJ leadership campaign: "Just don't die."

Well, I didn't do that.

Did you show them your Top 100?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

No, but I had to do a 15 minute presentation, maybe I should have shown them highlights of it.

15 minutes of the Alexander O'Neal intro.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Did you show them your Top 100?
    this is why we need the "thank you" button.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post: