Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nature Watch.

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    pembrokeshire? i miss pembrokeshire, especially when i see rain clouds
    Northern Spain, Cantabria. But yeah, wouldn't be surprised if there was somewhere similar in Pembrokeshire

sorry that was probably welshism

I'm rarely a victim of it tbh...

That looks beautiful, must get to know Pembrokeshire better. I can heartily recommend Cantabria, Asturias, Galicia and the Basque Country, not sure I've seen better coastline anywhere.

as a bristolian i was brung up on it

Saw a big bird of prey - either a buzzard or a kite, I'm guessing, it had those 'fingers' at the ends of its wings - hovering just a few metres above the ground and just a few metres from the side of the road this morning. Pretty cool.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Buzzard wings outstretched looks like a surfboard. V. Distinctive.

We were driving to the beach today and by the side of the road halfway up an electricity pylon I saw a massive nest with what looked like (as far as I could tell while trying not to hit the car in front) a couple of storks in it, maybe one young. Then a bit further on we saw another huge nest right at the top of a pylon, but empty this time... but it didn't matter cos as we were being slowed down by a queue of traffic we saw this absolutely huge bird fly overhead, really quite low, then another from the other side and another in the distance... I reckon basically five or six storks either right over our heads or in the middle distance in that five minute period. I guess they are not rare at all here, this is the second time where we've seen one and then suddenly a few more in quick succession, it seems that they kinda come in groups like that and I suppose if you live here a long time you see your fill of them. In fact I think they are quite common across large parts of the world, but the UK is one of the places where you just don't see them at all so to me they are really exciting things to see, they are fucking massive and with the long "fingers" on their wings they look something like a cross between some sort of giant mega-heron and a buzzard or whatever.
    My girlfriend tried to get a photo with her phone but it kept fucking up cos we were using it to direct us at the same time and that kept overruling her as she tried to get the shot. Shame cos it would have been spectacular. She did get one shot of the nest though which is... ok, somewhat less interesting.

StorkNest.jpg

And while we're doing pictures of nature here is a shot we took while driving along the coast just before arriving at the beach, the scenery in Setubal is really spectacular

BeachView.jpg

But if she had managed to get a photo it would have looked something like this....

01250657.jpg

Saw a big bird of prey - either a buzzard or a kite, I'm guessing, it had those 'fingers' at the ends of its wings - hovering just a few metres above the ground and just a few metres from the side of the road this morning. Pretty cool.
    Kites, certainly red kites which we get quite a lot of in the UK nowadays, are very distinctive because a) They're massive, a lot bigger than buzzards and b) They have this so-called "wedge-shaped" tail which really marks them out. The finger things suggest maybe a buzzard though.

Went down to the river estuary by our house today and managed to get some surprisingly good pictures of birds using my phone and some binoculars. I think it's relatively easy with the wading birds cos they stay still for a while. Not photographed were loads of egrets and stilts. Also on the way down we say a bird of prey above, not sure what it is but it's the second time I've seen it there in this exact space so maybe will identify it eventually.

Heron.jpg
    Heron obviously. This guy is here all the time lately, a real big fucker.

Spoonbill.jpg
    These spoonbills (the most literally named birds ever) were not there last year but this last month I see 'em every time (not sure I'd ever seen before moving here though).

Flamingos.jpg
    I'm glad to see flamingos in the estuary again, they appeared in May for a few days and then fucked off again but back today, must be the warmer weather. They're not on our side yet though. Hopefully soon.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post:

Blackberries are starting to ripen. All the grass has gone yellow from the sunny spell.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    These spoonbills (the most literally named birds ever)...
    Wait till you see these so-called "black birds", you're gonna lose your shit!
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

(yes yes yes I know the hen birds are brown, shut up)

I should have posted this a month ago when I picked them:

DSC_2068.jpg

Hoping today's rain will summon up some more goodies.