luka

What is happening in nature. An occasional thread for when you notice we are in a moment. The emergence of the first daffodils for instance, or the the precise point of maximum leaf refulgence in Autumn. When you go, oh, this thing has happened, this seismic event, I am very honoured to witness.

luka

The heathland is looking especially beautiful in the sun now, the colours of the grasses, a particular very lovely spectrum of wheat gold bronze russet rust, very very lovely. The flowers mostly gone but the grasses with their seed heads, all these varied ingenuities, seed dispersal solutions, all fully formed.

I watched an Iceland lorry driving east along the a2 through Blackheath and it was a very wonderful visual pun, saying, look at the colour spectrum, isn't this very good?

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...kJW5x11M&w=1300&h=693&hl=en-gb&source=sh/x/im

luka

You can also discuss Ninas question of why sitting under a tree should be considered fascist, or what possible ways there might be to sit under a tree in non or anti fascist ways. This seems a crucial question so we can investigate that too no worries.

other_life

bioconfused
the tree in our backyard is putting forth blossoms, stuff up front as well. ive been gone for a month and the grass is just delightfully overgrown. i stayed up last night and went out into the dawn chorus this morning, went a little way down the trail and sat in front of the sun coming up for a good few minutes, just breathing. there was intense hail a couple days before i left new mex and a thunderstorm in south dakota (or so) on our way back.

Leo

the tree in our backyard is putting forth blossoms, stuff up front as well. ive been gone for a month and the grass is just delightfully overgrown. i stayed up last night and went out into the dawn chorus this morning, went a little way down the trail and sat in front of the sun coming up for a good few minutes, just breathing. there was intense hail a couple days before i left new mex and a thunderstorm in south dakota (or so) on our way back.

that sounds magical, the light is wonderful at that hour, few times better than pre-dawn into dawn. if you've stayed up all night, you tend to be a little spaced out and slightly removed from reality, as if you're getting a behind-the-scenes sneak preview of the world. and if you get up at that time, you still aren't fully awake yet, mind not yet at peak functioning and clarity, so similar but a different sensation.

I once had a project that required me to do stuff from 2:00 am-6:00 am, usually just stayed up all night or at most took a quick nap earlier in the evening. wouldn't want those hours forever but loved the experience.

luka

There was a street a few blocks away from here that had this row of great big pink blossoming all the way down the length of it... in Spring a while back now. You say to yourself, this is great, I love this, and then a little while later it's turning to mulch in the gutters, all gone. Brown and putrid decay. Nature watch.

poetix

we murder to dissect
What is nature and what isn't? A bird's nest is the product of artifice, but is still seen as a natural object. A bird's nest with shreds of plastic or lengths of wire braided into it - still natural?

An urban fox going through a bin: nature? Roadkill squirrel on the tarmac: nature?

I'm not convinced that there exists anything at all that is not natural. But there are things going on in nature which we have to leave our dwellings, or look out of our windows, to observe. Lovely swaying trees. Hedgerows springing into bloom. Hooray for them.

luka

Well yep in that from vantage a distinctions disappear, but from vantage b they reemerge.

Dissensus being both an unified text of a single authorial genius and the disparate disjunctive ejaculations of a shifting group of individual idiots.

luka

Nature in this sense being birds and bees, bushes and trees, flora and fauna, moss and lichen.

The hedgerows made a welcome reappearance.

Fish. Molluscs. Cetaceans. Annelids.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This magnificent bastard in my garden the other day:

caterpillar_small.jpg

Mullein moth caterpillar, apparently.

sufi

lala
I'm in Tunisia, on a work jaunt.
There are feral cats, masses and masses of peeping swallows, jacarandas dropping purple flowers.
It's very hot and very pleasant.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I just bought citric acid from a small homewares/brew shop to go in a batch of elderflower cordial. The owner made a comment about "druggies" using it. Little does he know, elderflower cordial *is* my drug.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm mainlining quasi-rural wholesomeness as we speak.

Should probably join Bucoholics Anonymous.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i went to the lake yesterday, one a bit far out. it was so idyllic! there's still a big nudism movement in east germany so i found this one small opening to the lake surrounded by tree's and forest where every 15 minutes or so someone drove by on their bicycle, undressed themself completely and went for a swim. they'd park their bikes, put their cloths on a small wooden railing, and took a dive. seemed like most came from work or at least did this as a sort of routine.

things that i didn't like: some sort of snake like creature moving in the water, getting stung by mosquito's all over my body and the oddly warm water temperature. berlin is cooking for the last two summers.

IdleRich

IdleRich
i went to the lake yesterday, one a bit far out. it was so idyllic! there's still a big nudism movement in east germany so i found this one small opening to the lake surrounded by tree's and forest where every 15 minutes or so someone drove by on their bicycle, undressed themself completely and went for a swim. they'd park their bikes, put their cloths on a small wooden railing, and took a dive. seemed like most came from work or at least did this as a sort of routine.
I remember my ex-girlfriend saying how they went to visit some family friends in Sweden. Maybe the best day of her sixteen year old brother's life was when they all went swimming and the family's two hot daughters just pulled their clothes off right in front of him and dived in.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyway, nature, my Dad just sent me some pictures taken in the garden. Old men love gadgets and he's recently bought this thing he calls a trail camera that (I think) reacts to movement or heat etc and definitely has nothing creepy about it and which he's set up in the garden. Got some really good pictures... which it turns out I can't upload cos they are Jpegs - is that right?
Pity cos there are badgers, foxes and deer plus birds, squirrels, cats etc I'm really surprised by the badger cos I've never seen one in that area (in fact I'm not sure I've ever seen one in the wild at all) so it's pretty cool to know that they are going in the garden at night.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
I remember my ex-girlfriend saying how they went to visit some family friends in Sweden. Maybe the best day of her sixteen year old brother's life was when they all went swimming and the family's two hot daughters just pulled their clothes off right in front of him and dived in.

i was a bit sceptical at first but after a while figured why torture myself and not go and have a try myself. and i have to say it does feel a bit magical being naked surrounded by gorgeous nature and swimming in clear and gentle water. most people were older but there were some young people too. gonna have some more swims like this this summer hopefully.

IdleRich

IdleRich
i was a bit sceptical at first but after a while figured why torture myself and not go and have a try myself. and i have to say it does feel a bit magical being naked surrounded by gorgeous nature and swimming in clear and gentle water. most people were older but there were some young people too. gonna have some more swims like this this summer hopefully.
When in Rome eh? I mean personally I wouldn't want to do it with family friends or similar but with strangers why not?