Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Barriers to Entry.

People who like that stuff are a separate species.

I can't think of any definable aesthetic that I dislike out of the top 100s on principle. I dislike autotune these days because it's used in a whingy emo fashion, but it doesn't always have to be like that:

edit: youtube link down but it's an algerian rai song using autotune called Cheba Djenet - Laaroussa.

What i don't understand is why people tend to recoil from too much noisy machine like technoid electronic music with little melodic content. to me that's the whole point really. melodic electronic music is mostly euro trancerock in the veign of tangerine dream, which was appropriate for the 70s mostly but doesn't really translate outside of that context. of course detroit techno is an exception here but even then the best detroit stuff is as much funky as it is bluesy/jazzy.

I also don't really understand why it's ok to tribalistically commit to dancehall but as soon as something like grime goes mainstream it's the devils spawn. i don't like 2010s grime mostly and i don't really like 2010s dancehall pop. but 90s mainstream ragga is and was killer.
    Last edited by thirdform; 14-06-2019 at 03:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

I think the only tunes that I absolutely cannot picture myself listening to are the Usher and Mariah Carey ones from Craner's list.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

It's not the aesthetic though, I just think they're weak songs. There's nothing that draws me in, the Usher one in particular is the epitome of blandness to my ears whereas something like "Yeah" has a hook, the synth is sick etc.

Are you talking about 'Burn'?

You poor misguided soul.
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

corpsey's musical centrism i find hard to gell with.

reminds me of all post-dubstep kids i had to share cars/parties/houses/pseudo-romantic connections with circa 2011-14. which is ironic as corpse is probably more critical than me about post-dubstep.
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    I think the only tunes that I absolutely cannot picture myself listening to are the Usher and Mariah Carey ones from Craner's list.
    See?

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    It's not the aesthetic though, I just think they're weak songs. There's nothing that draws me in, the Usher one in particular is the epitome of blandness to my ears whereas something like "Yeah" has a hook, the synth is sick etc.
    Dissensus doesn't get singing. Only me and oliver cranium get it.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    AHEM

The thing is, though, if I knew I was supposed to be creating an aesthetic argument, I probably would have chosen different songs. But I just made it up as I went along after a massive cyber bullying campaign.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post

I get it, as you can see from my list, but mariah just can't sing. technique over grit.

That's where i make a concession to the soulboy mentality.

but, i make that concession in that mariah is trying to *sing* and not trying to poetically vocalise.
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    See?
    also Jack I didn't mean to single you out earlier. I should have said a mentality in dance music that corpsey tends to gravitate to, these lack of extremes, these kind of non-committal static pulses. obviously to your credit you bucked the most logical dance music move here from adopting such a value set, the fetishisation of the miniscule studio production of a tune above all else.
    I respect islamists

It's okay I agree with you

I WAS a post dubstep kid

Luckily I wasn't competent enough to release any music though.

I'm sure a lot of those guys have excellent music taste but some of their music was just diluted influences.

The story of post dubstep might be said to be of middle class suburbanites and provincials belatedly discovering garage and house.

I've been into more "extreme" music in the past. If tech itch e.g. counts. I don't know why I shied away from extremity. Perhaps I just got old prematurely?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

I like singing, I just can't get into that Usher song. There's just nothing there. It's like something you'd hear on The X-Factor.

I need to start watching X Factor!