Barriers to Entry.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
corpsey's musical centrism i find hard to gell with.

reminds me of all post-dubstep kids i had to share cars/parties/houses/pseudo-romantic connections with circa 2011-14. which is ironic as corpse is probably more critical than me about post-dubstep.

luka

It's not the aesthetic though, I just think they're weak songs. There's nothing that draws me in, the Usher one in particular is the epitome of blandness to my ears whereas something like "Yeah" has a hook, the synth is sick etc.

Dissensus doesn't get singing. Only me and oliver cranium get it.

craner

Beast of Burden
The thing is, though, if I knew I was supposed to be creating an aesthetic argument, I probably would have chosen different songs. But I just made it up as I went along after a massive cyber bullying campaign.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Dissensus doesn't get singing. Only me and oliver cranium get it.

I get it, as you can see from my list, but mariah just can't sing. technique over grit.

That's where i make a concession to the soulboy mentality.

but, i make that concession in that mariah is trying to *sing* and not trying to poetically vocalise.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

also Jack I didn't mean to single you out earlier. I should have said a mentality in dance music that corpsey tends to gravitate to, these lack of extremes, these kind of non-committal static pulses. obviously to your credit you bucked the most logical dance music move here from adopting such a value set, the fetishisation of the miniscule studio production of a tune above all else.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's okay I agree with you

I WAS a post dubstep kid

Luckily I wasn't competent enough to release any music though.

I'm sure a lot of those guys have excellent music taste but some of their music was just diluted influences.

The story of post dubstep might be said to be of middle class suburbanites and provincials belatedly discovering garage and house.

I've been into more "extreme" music in the past. If tech itch e.g. counts. I don't know why I shied away from extremity. Perhaps I just got old prematurely?

version

I like singing, I just can't get into that Usher song. There's just nothing there. It's like something you'd hear on The X-Factor.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I've been into more "extreme" music in the past. If tech itch e.g. counts. I don't know why I shied away from extremity. Perhaps I just got old prematurely?

Funny you mention tech itch i was in the mood to revisit his stuff in a mix again but then just forgot, i guess!

luka

I like singing, I just can't get into that Usher song. There's just nothing there. It's like something you'd hear on The X-Factor.

Trust me you don't appreciate singing. Mariah is singing. Usher is singing.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The bit when it first soars is when he transitions from

"Separate ways"

To

"Tell me why I should stay in this relationship"

And hits that really high note

The lyrics of Burn are bland (apart from "the party ain't jumpin like it used to") but he makes it sound like profound pain. Which I suppose is what a bad relationship is. Profound pain, utterly conventional.

forclosure

Luka is funny you say that about Pere Ubu cause i dont have the biggest tollerance for Monty Python generations of the worst nerds (especially from america for some reason) repeating bits and routines from them ad nauseum to the point where by the time you acutally get to them youre just like oh its that

Also interestingly David Thomas once said about how Linda Thompson said that she wished that she could sing like him why? because he sings without any sense of inhibition which considering this is the woman who sang "walking on a wire" and "withered and died" i think thats really fascinating (he did some stuff with Richard Thompson when he went solo for a while)