Barriers to Entry.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
whitney can sing, even in her most saccharine moments. mariah can't. i'm sorry, im not changing my views on this.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
it's that whole disgusting operatic tradition. this is why we can't move forward. whitney has soul. mariah doesn't.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
she's the incarnation of yacht fascism. she's the american dream. the middling female voice, the sweet voice to impress white people, no ibonic affectations.

luka

Try doing we belong together on karaoke and you will no that woman can sing. Exceptionally once in a generation talented.

luka

It's a very very good song. Extremely good

Product of Reaganomics
You know that motherfuckin stoop raised me
Dreamin of hoops but I was too lazy
School made me sick, teachers said I was too crazy
Lo and behold, it's the new and improved Jay-Z
Let me explain this to you baby

luka

Whitneys voice I prefer if push comes to shove but Mariah Has WAY better material to work with. Whitneys voice was wasted on schmaltz of the lowest order. A terrible shame.

luka

Toni Braxton is another marvellous voice wasted by the industry. Pushed towards MOR. Mariah was fortunate and got to do a lot of joyous music. Lightweight perhaps, but joyous.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Idk if this is relevant here but it feels like it is and has been swimming around in my mind for a while now. I feel like a lot of these barriers and born from peer groups and if you'd grown up around a different set of people in a different place you (Luka) could easily be a huge hair metal fan or whatever. As a kid of the very late 90s I wasn't around to know what the right shit to be into was for say, jungle. Very few reference points apart from 1 in the jungle, but that was way back when I was 11 or so. So I love ltj with conrad as much as I like SS - Black. There's no politics dividing me on any of it. It's binary taste. Like or not. No beefs, critiques from those in the know. In fact it was only on here that I discovered how deep the bitterness towards ltj can be. Same goes for hip-hop, or rock. I'm a Johnny come lately and I think this frees me up of a whole load of unnecessary baggage. I don't want approval or validation due to what I listen to. I just like what I like.

However, being a 90s kid, idk where or how or what it was but there was definitely a hex put on the 80s and without even really questioning or caring why I'd written that shit off without giving it a chance. And that lasted until the last 10 or so years when getting into boogie, p funk, post punk, post disco through djs like Theo parrish. I remember always using the boogie tracks at GP's bar rumba sessions as drink breaks because it just didn't do anything to me. Sacharrine, syrupy, totally camp. No thanks. Now it's some of my favourite shit for all of those things. Funny ain't it. Part of growing up I guess. The thing I care about now is not missing out on things based on dumb prejudices.

So while yeah I would have loved to grow up in London circa 89-94 or New York 79-94, I didn't, and get to enjoy a whole load of music the purists from those times would never dare be known for liking.

Just thinkin out loud

Last edited:

luka

Peer group is certainly part of it, and probably more so, what you imprint on as 'cool' as a very very young person. What you look up to and admire. What catches your eye and wins your admiration.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Try doing we belong together on karaoke and you will no that woman can sing. Exceptionally once in a generation talented.

I don't understand what sort of weird argument that is supposed to be i don't do carioke. and yeah, i know so many girls in turkey who can outgun we belong together easily.

luka

I think I e said before, and other people have said before, everyone on here pretty much is the same person, we're all 'that guy' the one who cared a little bit too much about music etc within our respective peer groups. The one who had all the knowledge and the tips and that. Who sort,of told our mates what to listen to

luka

I don't understand what sort of weird argument that is supposed to be i don't do carioke. and yeah, i know so many girls in turkey who can outgun we belong together easily.

No you don't.its the phrasing. Incredibly intricate.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Idk if this is relevant here but it feels like it is and has been swimming around in my mind for a while now. I feel like a lot of these barriers and born from peer groups and if you'd grown up around a different set of people in a different place you (Luka) could easily be a huge hair metal fan or whatever. As a kid of the very late 90s I wasn't around to know what the right shit to be into was for say, jungle. Very few reference points apart from 1 in the jungle, but that was way back when I was 11 or so. So I love ltj with conrad as much as I like SS - Black. There's no politics dividing me on any of it. It's binary taste. Like or not. No beefs, critiques from those in the know. In fact it was only on here that I discovered how deep the bitterness towards ltj can be. Same goes for hip-hop, or rock. I'm a Johnny come lately and I think this frees me up of a whole load of unnecessary baggage. I don't want approval or validation due to what I listen to. I just like what I like.

However, being a 90s kid, idk where or how or what it was but there was definitely a hex put on the 80s and without even really questioning or caring why I'd written that shit off without giving it a chance. And that lasted until the last 10 or so years when getting into boogie, p funk, post punk, post disco through djs like Theo parrish. I remember always using the boogie tracks at GP's bar rumba sessions as drink breaks because it just didn't do anything to me. Sacharrine, syrupy, totally camp. No thanks. Now it's some of my favourite shit for all of those things. Funny ain't it. Part of growing up I guess. The thing I care about now is not missing out on things based on dumb prejudices.

So while yeah I would have loved to grow up in London circa 89-94 or New York 79-94, I didn't, and get to enjoy a whole load of music the purists from those times would never dare be known for liking.

Just thinkin out loud

there isn't that ss vs bukem beef amongst junglists off here though. it's a very specific 1995 beef preserved in aspic.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
No you don't.its the phrasing. Incredibly intricate.

projection.

if anyone can convince me it will be barry. but weirdly enough as these things go i think he's going to agree with me that she's average at best.

Last edited:

luka

Eh? What!?! Explain? Some songs have objectively tricky phrasing. We belong together is one of those songs. Another Craner pick 'never too much' is another.