Barriers to Entry.

luka

No. This is an obsession of yours! I don't know why you think I must have skeletons in the closet! The first music I really explored on my own (apart from some 80s rap and Michael Jackson) was hardcore, then jungle, then mid 90s rap, then ukg, then grime, and from grime onwards my feelings are all recorded in this forum.

luka

Well, it's a tangible barrier I come up against. I don't know what put it there. There are things which repel me.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
No. This is an obsession of yours! I don't know why you think I must have skeletons in the closet! The first music I really explored on my own (apart from some 80s rap and Michael Jackson) was hardcore, then jungle, then mid 90s rap, then ukg, then grime, and from grime onwards my feelings are all recorded in this forum.

it's an obsession of mine because taste and connoisseurship starts with you being at the absolute bottom, the pits. seeing the merit in total shit, then gradually or not so gradually eliminating crap and then joining the dots. or for me anyway!

luka

It's just like sexual attraction and repulsion isn't it? Who knows what unjustifiable and atavistic prejudices, fetishes, fears, desire etc are involved.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Well, it's a tangible barrier I come up against. I don't know what put it there. There are things which repel me.

Previous experiences. metal repells me now but I'm more confident in explaining why than it's just shouty blokes. I had to force myself open to the experience. like you open yourself up to a bad trip. you try and enjoy the bad trip. and then it gives you clarification.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's just like sexual attraction and repulsion isn't it? Who knows what unjustifiable and atavistic prejudices, fetishes, fears, desire etc are involved.

yeah but you can decondition your sexual attractions to an extent.

luka

Previous experiences. metal repells me now but I'm more confident in explaining why than it's just shouty blokes. I had to force myself open to the experience. like you open yourself up to a bad trip. you try and enjoy the bad trip. and then it gives you clarification.

Yeah I'm not opposed to this operation! We did a thread that was based on this premise but I think people's generosity and patience declined with time. People stopped wanting to try and open themselves and instead tried to explain why they were justified in hating!

What was that thread called? Listen to this now? Something like that.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
well yeah I'm not saying we shouldn't have musical prejudices, and nor do we need to *fully* understand them, but it helps to have an outline.

Like something like the pogo stick rhythm you talk about. I'd like to focus on that one, personally.

luka

well yeah I'm not saying we shouldn't have musical prejudices, and nor do we need to *fully* understand them, but it helps to have an outline.

Like something like the pogo stick rhythm you talk about. I'd like to focus on that one, personally.

Deconstruct it for me. I am operating at a low vibrational frequency!