Mindfulness (/as capitalist nonsense)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The most neurotic person I've ever met spent all night every night drawing up incredibly detailed timetables for the day ahead. No hour not accounted for. I've always said I'll never write a to do list but last year I did start writing things on the calendar. 7th of July- job in woolwich. That sort of thing. I've fallen out of the habit this year and it's really fucking me up.

I've just done the dishes btw. Other big tasks are filing away the papers that are strewn all over the floor and all available surfaces and taking some bedding to the laundrette.nif I can complete these tasks I will be in a better position than I've been in for several months. Things have really got ahead of me recently and I've suffered for it.

Boundaries are the most useful thing ever. I see the timetable as another form of that. Even if you don't do half of what's on the list, it provides a container. Obviously it's more of a problem if one's superego is particularly strong and has confused the imperative to do practical things with an ethical imperative.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I remember reading the original anti-mindfulness article and being appalled by how wrong the author had got it all. As if anything at all couldn't be hideously perverted by capitalism.

Mindfulness is very useful, but stripping it of its original holistic meaning and presenting itself as an efficiency solution was bound to happen. As with taking yoga out of its original context and turning it into another site of spectacularised competitiveness.

version

I just found one of those clickbaity mindfulness-type sites for the occult.

https://ultraculture.org/

William S. Burroughs’ 7 Occult Techniques for Smashing Reality

Introduction to Chaos Magick - Everything you need to practice effective Chaos Magick and radically change your life.

God, Annihilator: My Meeting With Kal Bhairav, the Wrathful Form of Shiva

The 7 Biggest Mistakes People Make When Learning Magick

other_life

bioconfused
the thing that infuriates me most about this shit is how much it's used to guilt working class parents for things beyond control

other_life

bioconfused
i will mindlessly put as much of my own trauma/weird charge on my wards/brood as i feel is necessary for them to brace for the wider world, thanks.
it builds character.

version

I stumbled across an Alan Watts clip on YouTube the other night and it was part of a channel which was a great example of this sort of thing. They seemed to just take the audio from his broadcasts and lectures and stick it over stock footage of people in business environments or running on a beach with a smoke grenade or whatever and the comments were full of people rattling off cheesy aphorisms.

entertainment

i dislike this modern framing of zen as achieving serenity. 'zen' should be about jolting oneself out of the narcosis, into the naked chaos. the pupil dialating adrenalized vividness of sheer existence. to make oneself a fugitive in our world. de-familiarize and take it all in.

I liked Stephen batchelor confessions of a Buddhist atheist, he’s an English guy who practiced as a monk under Tibetan and zen traditions. Critical and respectful and cuts through a lot of the shit