Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This week's reading

My dads parents did pretty much. He was told dinosaurs never existed and the bones were a test of faith. No tv or radio cos the waves travel through the air and satan is the prince of air and etc etc

Milton addressing Paradise Lost to God and *actually believing he was addressing God*. You can know that and not understand it.

Our modern imagination is comparatively thin soup.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Our modern imagination is comparatively thin soup.
    Ironically, Genesis is so sparsely, thinly imagined in the Bible, it creates vacuums for interpretation and imagination to expand into. It's gnomic, in that sense.

The myth of the fall is incredibly potent though.

I have a soft spot for the "dinosaur bones were put there to test your faith" line. I love it when people say that, it's magical!

Milton addressing Paradise Lost to God and *actually believing he was addressing God*. You can know that and not understand it.
    Martin Luther hurling his inkwell at the devil.

Craner, hard at work on his fascism essay, hurling his inkwell at luka, the tormentor.

dsc00808.jpg

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    I have a soft spot for the "dinosaur bones were put there to test your faith" line. I love it when people say that, it's magical!
    Edmund Gosse's dad, who is probably related to luka somehow, reckoned he'd cracked this one. I thinkhis explanation goes that just as God made Adam and Eve with navels, all those millions of years of dinosaur bone were a similar feature of creation. I'll try and look it up when I get home.

Do the Bible with me. I'm only on Samuel, you'll both catch up in no time.
    my jps hebrew-english has a printing error so it reads 1 S MUEL. shmuel.
    i'm studying putnam's bib. hebrew grammar so i can follow along w this stuff and not rely on others' interpretations.
    I have to say, it took me a while to recover from the story of the Levite and his concubine in Judges. It is one of the most horrendous things I've ever read.
    'in those days no king reigned in israel, everyone did what was right in their own eyes.'
    i kind of wonder if sefer shoftim doesn't contain earlier strata than genesis, ie the stuff in there is really the foundational history of these folks? that story feels like a tell compared to sodom and gomorrah, as does possibly "ba'al berit" in one verse and "el berit" in another...
    Luka can correct me here probably but isn't this where Gnosticism comes from - the idea that the old testament god is a trickster god, and evil, and the New testament is really about the toppling of the fake god by Jesus Christ, the embodiment of the real, humane, merciful God?
    this is one kind of gnosis, yes. marcion. the mandaeans, etc. there is a mainline-rabbinic-jewish gnosis, though, which relies heavily on
    Ironically, Genesis is so sparsely, thinly imagined in the Bible, it creates vacuums for interpretation and imagination to expand into. It's gnomic, in that sense.
    precisely these kinds of qualities in the narrative voices of the tanakh, its textual inconsistency as well, subtle things taken to be signals of something profound. the idea is that it's gnomic to leave room for the teachers to breathe, to explicate, to fill in. from this viewpoint haShem's never *split* between [pub banter rehearsed] OLD TESTAMENT GOD and NEW TESTAMENT GOD... just strange. multivalent, polymorphic, many-faceted.
    one house many mansions
    dissensus let's read the bible
    Last edited by other_life; 18-06-2019 at 09:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It says bless the lads and it means bless the lads.
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    i don't know, probably some marxist cultural theory or something
    https://manifestacionesoterica.bandcamp.com/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to other_life For This Useful Post:

slightly related

Tolkien, Shippey writes in The Road to Middle Earth, loved above all things in literature a quality he calls ‘glamour’, ‘that shimmer of suggestion that never became clear sight but always hints at something deeper further on’, a quality he found in Beowulf in particular. While composing his fiction he would deliberately pile up fragmented layers to give the appearance of age, depth, variant versions, mystery, that he so loved in the broken texts he studied by day.
    https://www.lrb.co.uk/v23/n22/jenny-...liking-tolkien

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

dissensus let's read the bible
    Word.

Word.
    Ok but that means you have to go back to the beginning and read it with us.

Samuel is miles in afaic, you've got to read Genesis AND Exodus for starters

What is haShem? Where is other lif getting this stuff from?