This week's reading

craner

Beast of Burden
I am reading King James Version. I only suggested the Good News or NIV in case anyone wanted to skim and catch up with me at 1 Samuel 1.

poetix

we murder to dissect
US evangelicals have a whole extraordinary theology built out of this super-heterodox (from the POV of most other Christian denominations) reading of obscure bits of the Bible. As is their prerogative, of course, but it's really strange to see how much the supposed fundaments of fyndamentalism are apophenically hallucinated into coherence out of a bundle of disconnected textual fragments. That's what a reality studio looks like from outside that reality studio, I guess

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Mind you it is so presposterous - this guy lived 500 years and this guy lived 235 years and this guy lived 3546 years

Actually if we abandon the literalist thing this could be enlightening

Many mythologies posit an extint race of better men/people - and that says something in itself about our idealising of the past and our sense of perpetual decline.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was going to job hunt but this seems more productive

Although are you aware of how long Genesis is? It's longer than a song by Genesis. LOL (i don't even know if they do long songs btw)

luka

It's maybe an hours reading? Are you unemployed at the moment? Meet me in canary wharf in 30 mins im at a loose end

poetix

we murder to dissect
There were Nephilim in those days, the sons of men and angels.

I choose to believe that this myth refers to the invention of agriculture, specifically the cultivation of wheat crops and the development of primitive technologies for grinding wheat to flour.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Its McCarthy, and he totally nails it.
Yeah I agree. You either do it half-heartedly and it's weak or you go for it and risk being called kitsch/cheesey whatever, I prefer the latter. Also Melville I reckon.

He's American, so I assume he'd memorised the Bible while he was still in short pants
This doesn't happen though does it? Why not? When I was teaching in East London I met quite a few kids who knew (or claimed to know) the Koran by heart - which means you have to learn Classical Arabic first cos you're not allowed to translate it.

luka

There's a christian denomination, a relatively major one, that memorises the bible. Can't remember which. Craner will know. (Craner also considers cormac McCartney to be kitsch.)