Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: This week's reading

Jelly.

There is a suspension of disbelief or something similar that is required. Particularly in All The Pretty Horses and The Crossing (I haven't read the third one in fact) in which the protagonists who are all effectively children are somehow unbelievably skilled horsemen and hunters and able to speak Spanish and savvy enough to understand criminal minds and so on when they are in danger or whatever, and also everyone they meet, whether a beggar or a cowboy or whatever turns out to be some kind of savant who spills out their theory of life or the universe in beautifully poetic language without any prompting. Does that make it hokey? I don't think it does, it makes it unrealistic but I don't think that automatically means anything more than that it is unrealistic.
    Also, all good/different/risky things are easier to parody than normal, safe things - taking a sentence in isolation and laughing at it doesn't really mean anything on the whole. Although I'm not gonna totally defend him on everything, I found The Crossing irritating in some respects, just not those mentioned above.

I mean I don't really care I just every so often bring this up to aggravate droid. Just pulling his pigtails in a loving and brotherly way out of boredom.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

I'll read McCarthy at some point, but the complete lack of humour mixed with that sort of overwrought prose is really off-putting and like something you'd find in a Warhammer novel.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    I'll read McCarthy at some point, but the complete lack of humour mixed with that sort of overwrought prose is really off-putting and like something you'd find in a Warhammer novel.
    Just saving this sick burn for posterity before version deletes it

8. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Show me a Warhammer novel as well written as blood meridian and I'll be up it like a drainpipe

I was actually recently thinking about Shakespeare, how he turned trash into gold, and if modern writers should be trying the same thing, don't you think?

Like an absolute genius writing a Warhammer novel.

Isn't that what Gene Wolfe was supposed to have done with science fiction?

Suttree has some funny moments, as does child of god, even blood meridian.

We hauled forth our members and at it we went and the judge on his knees kneading the mass with his naked arms and the piss was splashin about and he was cryin out to us to piss, man, piss for your very souls for cant you see the redskins yonder, and laughin the while and working up the great mass in a foul black dough, a devilís batter by the stink of it and him not a bloody dark pastryman himself.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    You know about the nephilim in wider conspiracy theory though right?

The Winged People
    Killah Priest
    Do you really know? Or were you taught what you know?
    Do you believe or do you know?
    Is your faith blind?
    Or is it bright as the sun?
    They were here before Adam, descendants of Anu/
    Took on mortal fashion, built them selves statues/
    In the image of themselves, to worship themselves/
    Built towers to themselves, to remind them where they fell/
    They came from a station in space, an angelical race/
    Giant in stature, helmet and cape, that they wore/
    Visited this planet to explore, long journeys from they own because their race had war/
    It's said they called their planet Nibiru, and that they were fallen heroes/
    They saw gold, saw tree's and life more liberal/
    Astronauts with afro and locks, jet beamed into a ziggurat and crashed on rocks/
    1.21 jigawatts, some passed over crops/
    In tablet legends, they said they opened the flood gates of heaven/
    Describing their monstrous brethren, chopping up their grandparents into seven/
    Pieces, now they looking for a region, they travel eastern/
    Found a garden called Eden, they saw a being/
    Force to bow before Baal, Or be exiled with a tribe of reptiles now called Rothschilds' and X-Files
    Life begins breathing hydrogen inside of high winds, milky way, violins/
    Heard by the wisemen, observed in Orion/
    The windows with no end, the black glass and a sea that extends/
    Within that sea exists carbohydrate's, these gods were hybrids/
    That went back and forth until they mixed with star bred/
    In the foods of thought, with proteins, protons and atoms produced the whole theme/
    To infinity to density, the matter, the Adam, the cell, to organisms and metamorphism/
    The waters of the living, to bodies and back to godly