Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Puritanism

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    The Puritans believed in a spirit world for sure but they weren't mystics
    Is this necessarily the case? I mean Milton was a Puritan. Doesn't he qualify as a mystic? Genuine question, maybe he doesn't - the intro notes to my copy of PL point out that he was a rather materialist kind of mystic, even to the level of his angels having bodies and eating, drinking and excreting.

What about Blake? Maybe he doesn't fit into any widely accepted denomination of Christianity, I dunno.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

i think about this a lot. but it’s hard to say something personal about it since i feel that even the catholics and muslims in the netherlands are influenced by calvinism. it’s not religion so much anymore but a deeply ingrained culture that you pick up from your environment: family, school, politics, institutions. the believe of predestination, living a sober life, working hard and be honest.

in politics you can clearly see calvinism revealing itself, for example when politicians say things like this i do not only think that they are racist cunts but also calvinist losers:

“During the crisis of the euro, the countries of the North have shown solidarity with the countries affected by the crisis. As a Social Democrat, I attribute exceptional importance to solidarity. [But] you also have obligations. You can not spend all the money on drinks and women and then ask for help.“ - Dijsselbloem

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yyaldrin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    “During the crisis of the euro, the countries of the North have shown solidarity with the countries affected by the crisis. As a Social Democrat, I attribute exceptional importance to solidarity. [But] you also have obligations. You can not spend all the money on drinks and women and then ask for help.“ - Dijsselbloem
    I don't really see how this is racist, to be honest. OK, "drinks and women" is a colourful turn of phrase, but it's not unreasonable for taxpayers in other EU countries to be pissed off about bailing out Greece, which however you slice it has historically had incredibly profligate governments (proportionally by far the EU's biggest military budget, massively bloated civil service, widespread tax non-payment etc. etc.).
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Did they spend all the money on drinks and women, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Is this necessarily the case? I mean Milton was a Puritan. Doesn't he qualify as a mystic?
    Don't think Milton was a mystic - as far as I'm aware he didn't have 'genuine' visions ala. Blake. Or had a direct experience of God or angels, etc. As you point out, he had a rather materialist mind, hence the angels in heaven battling with actual cannons, and pooing.

I am very interested in this stuff atm - I'd always considered religion a nonfactor in my life up until the last few years, when I started to become more intensely aware of the influence of Christianity on the society/world I live in.

Is there any really good books about the different sects of Christianity?

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Did they spend all the money on drinks and women, though?
    They probably spent it on vast tubs of tzatziki. Big enough to go swimming in. Can you even imagine?

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I am very interested in this stuff atm - I'd always considered religion a nonfactor in my life up until the last few years, when I started to become more intensely aware of the influence of Christianity on the society/world I live in.

Is there any really good books about the different sects of Christianity?
    Just as well we are doing to the whole fucking bible for dissensus book club then. Serendipity or the hand of God?

This island is brimming with puritan brethren. Excess and denial is just about all Britain really has to believe in. I remember this every time I go abroad and see people enjoying simple life pleasures. It feels seductive but really foreign.

I don't know how they do it. The other weird thing you see is children enjoying their parents company. Feels almost obscene. Obscurely incestuous.

Yeah, I've just been in Spain, and the attention paid to encouraging children to use public space is extraordinary. Also providing nice things for old people, like enough benches to sit down on. Wouldn't ever see that in the UK, unless it was a bureaucratic mistake, after which the excess benches would be ripped out and destroyed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Yeah, I've just been in Spain, and the attention paid to encouraging children to use public space is extraordinary. Also providing nice things for old people, like enough benches to sit down on. Wouldn't ever see that in the UK, unless it was a bureaucratic mistake, after which the excess benches would be ripped out and destroyed.
    how is this in ireland tho?

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    I remember this every time I go abroad and see people enjoying simple life pleasures. It feels seductive but really foreign.
    Haha I remember that feeling so well. British brutishess is such a distant memory now. Germany is like a land of pathological civility. Too damn healthy.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

I noticed Germans don't queue though. They push.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I noticed Germans don't queue though. They push.
    And there was that whole Nazi thing too.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post: