Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Puritanism

Oh under the surface they're all monsters, but that sweet veneer they've got going is convincing for a while. When you actually get down to it, not much has changed in the last century.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I noticed Germans don't queue though. They push.
    Yeah it's funny, the Germans are *verbally* the politest people you will ever meet but when it comes to getting served at a bar or anything like that, the person with the sharpest elbows gets in first.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

They're not verbally polite at all. They take pride in 'directness'

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    This island is brimming with puritan brethren. Excess and denial is just about all Britain really has to believe in. I remember this every time I go abroad and see people enjoying simple life pleasures. It feels seductive but really foreign.
    Jonathan Meades says the same thing about being taken on holiday to France as a child/teen and looking around in fascination at this alien culture where pleasure was normal!
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

The German language has no words for 'please' 'thank you' or 'sorry'

They're not verbally polite at all. They take pride in 'directness'
    I've found, if anything, it's more of a Dutch thing to take directness to the point of being actually rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    I've found, if anything, it's more of a Dutch thing to take directness to the point of being actually rude.
    Same people.

...and their operas last for three days!

Same people.
    yyaldrin, your opinion on this?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    the Dutch seem to be the least well conceptualised people in the UK mindset. Many here still seem to see Dutch people as free spirited and laid-back, whereas the reality is that they can be brutally direct and most of them so hamstrung by historical puritanism that they don't take any drugs at all.

Same people.
    they don't say thanks or please all they eat is tulips and stinky gouda cheese

the Dutch seem to be the least well conceptualised people in the UK mindset. Many here still seem to see Dutch people as free spirited and laid-back, whereas the reality is that they can be brutally direct and most of them so hamstrung by historical puritanism that they don't take any drugs at all.
    this is very true i think, it is very conservative in fact. they just managed to pull off a grande scheme making the rest of the world believe that they are tolerant and progressive.

the Dutch seem to be the least well conceptualised people in the UK mindset.
    I think the Dutch and the English are a bit like a pair of siblings who are superficially very similar but actually quite different once you get to know them.

lol, it totally does, Bitte, Entschuldigung, Danke

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    lol, it totally does, Bitte, Entschuldigung, Danke
    Its like Japanese has words like 'orangejusu" just rough approximations of the english not an organic part of the language