Puritanism

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I am very interested in this stuff atm - I'd always considered religion a nonfactor in my life up until the last few years, when I started to become more intensely aware of the influence of Christianity on the society/world I live in.

Is there any really good books about the different sects of Christianity?

luka

I am very interested in this stuff atm - I'd always considered religion a nonfactor in my life up until the last few years, when I started to become more intensely aware of the influence of Christianity on the society/world I live in.

Is there any really good books about the different sects of Christianity?

Just as well we are doing to the whole fucking bible for dissensus book club then. Serendipity or the hand of God?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
This island is brimming with puritan brethren. Excess and denial is just about all Britain really has to believe in. I remember this every time I go abroad and see people enjoying simple life pleasures. It feels seductive but really foreign.

luka

I don't know how they do it. The other weird thing you see is children enjoying their parents company. Feels almost obscene. Obscurely incestuous.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, I've just been in Spain, and the attention paid to encouraging children to use public space is extraordinary. Also providing nice things for old people, like enough benches to sit down on. Wouldn't ever see that in the UK, unless it was a bureaucratic mistake, after which the excess benches would be ripped out and destroyed.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Yeah, I've just been in Spain, and the attention paid to encouraging children to use public space is extraordinary. Also providing nice things for old people, like enough benches to sit down on. Wouldn't ever see that in the UK, unless it was a bureaucratic mistake, after which the excess benches would be ripped out and destroyed.

how is this in ireland tho?

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I remember this every time I go abroad and see people enjoying simple life pleasures. It feels seductive but really foreign.

Haha I remember that feeling so well. British brutishess is such a distant memory now. Germany is like a land of pathological civility. Too damn healthy.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Oh under the surface they're all monsters, but that sweet veneer they've got going is convincing for a while. When you actually get down to it, not much has changed in the last century.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I noticed Germans don't queue though. They push.

Yeah it's funny, the Germans are *verbally* the politest people you will ever meet but when it comes to getting served at a bar or anything like that, the person with the sharpest elbows gets in first.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This island is brimming with puritan brethren. Excess and denial is just about all Britain really has to believe in. I remember this every time I go abroad and see people enjoying simple life pleasures. It feels seductive but really foreign.

Jonathan Meades says the same thing about being taken on holiday to France as a child/teen and looking around in fascination at this alien culture where pleasure was normal!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I've found, if anything, it's more of a Dutch thing to take directness to the point of being actually rude.

the Dutch seem to be the least well conceptualised people in the UK mindset. Many here still seem to see Dutch people as free spirited and laid-back, whereas the reality is that they can be brutally direct and most of them so hamstrung by historical puritanism that they don't take any drugs at all.