Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Puritanism

Default Puritanism

I want to talk about this. I am a very pure specimen of the puritan. Im not remotely proud of it, but im aware of it. The blood of 1000 generations of protestant bigots in my veins. I look like an ulster loyalist gunman. I didn't choose it, but im stuck with it. I don't understand pleasure. Only excess and denial.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

It's not necessarily to do with ancestry I dont think. Mr tea has no trace of Puritanism, no inclination to excess or denial, but I think droid is definitely my blood brother in Puritanism

5. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

I just think of that Blackadder episode with the aunt and the suggestive turnip when I hear the term 'puritan'.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

One half of my family is Catholic and I believe the roots go back to Ireland. Actually I think the roots go back to Ireland on both sides. I'll have to check.
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It's not necessarily to do with ancestry I dont think. Mr tea has no trace of Puritanism, no inclination to excess or denial, but I think droid is definitely my blood brother in Puritanism
    I remember thirdy calling me a puritan but in the same sentence he said I had "no discipline" - I mean discipline is synonymous with puritanism, isn't it? Or is an integral part of it. But I suppose willful contradiction is part of his MO.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I e seen how impossible it is to get you to drink more than three pints in an evening but I also know you would never dream of going a single day without your warm ale medicine. Therefore, not puritan.

Droid on the other hand won't touch alcohol. He says it's devil secretions. I.e. Droid is a Puritan. You can see it in his eyes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

I e seen how impossible it is to get you to drink more than three pints in an evening but I also know you would never dream of going a single day without your warm ale medicine. Therefore, not puritan.
    Come off it, you got me shitfaced that time! Anyway, getting drunk is actually not that much fun. Or more accurately, getting drunk is the most fun in the world, but being drunk is just gross.

You've never been on the sort of night with me where we're casting around for how to get more MDMA at 10 am the next day. So I would say I'm not averse to excess by any means, but that I can draw a line between excess per se and wanton self-destruction. I.e. we're talking about MDMA, not Tesco Value vodka/crack/glue.

Edit: in b4 "I never knew Tesco even sold crack, never mind budget crack."
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

lol, Im a utilitarian hedonist. Its like puritanism but more boring. Pleasure with purpose.

Droid is a Puritan. You can see it in his eyes.
    He's more like a millenarian shaman, albeit submerged in a pool of druidic calm

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

Lmao @ utilitarian hedonist tho

I mean u kinda have to be as you age

I look like an ulster loyalist gunman. I didn't choose it, but im stuck with it. I don't understand pleasure. Only excess and denial.
    You're vastly too mystical tho

it's at odds

The Puritans believed in a spirit world for sure but they weren't mystics

Dour, grim, resolve

Yeah i mean obviously I'm not an actual Puritan. But it's there somewhere as inheritance and I think it causes problems. Not necessarily in the blood, whatever that might mean, but in the cultural landscape and so on.

i think Puritanism also has a censorious quality - a judging of others for their lapses and predilections connected to some idea about being part of The Elect. In an era of relativism the puritan deals in absolutes.