thirdform

pass the sick bucket
melancholy always strives for the pure ideal doesn't it. that unattainable lost pure ideal.

fascism strives for a pure regeneration of the nation-race.

I don't think listening to melancholic music makes you a fascist but the point crowl raises is interesting.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm not really into pure mono-emotional music. pure happy music can have similar pitfalls. pure dark music most times simply doesn't exist. it's like dungeon dubstep isn't it. just nocturnal trudging beats. can be recontextualised in a set to give people breathers or take them to a psychedelic dimension but has to be used contextually.

you can kinda subvert melancholy though...

luka

In what way does melancholy strive for a pure ideal? Im not sure of that. It's a feeling. Does it necessarily have a logic?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
In what way does melancholy strive for a pure ideal? Im not sure of that. It's a feeling. Does it necessarily have a logic?

Is it a feeling though? uusualy we can define feelings. melancholia seems to be so subjective and always invokes the past. sadness, tearfulness or depression doesn't necessarily have to.

luka

Is it a feeling though? uusualy we can define feelings. melancholia seems to be so subjective and always invokes the past. sadness, tearfulness or depression doesn't necessarily have to.

If its not a feeling how might we categorise it?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
well it's the same as feeling somber isn't it ultimately if we cut it down to its essential. you seem to want a melancholy that can be totally presentist. how can you be somber without invoking the past?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
if your whole worldview is bittersweet, if you don't take the poison straight up then how are you gonna move forward? this is why the dosage of melancholy should be precisely calculated.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i prefer indulging in dissonance and unease. if not in tonality then in emotion or aesthetic.

I don't think this has to be restricted to the idm or detroit techno boys.

luka

well it's the same as feeling somber isn't it ultimately if we cut it down to its essential. you seem to want a melancholy that can be totally presentist. how can you be somber without invoking the past?

No I don't think so. I think it is different to feeling somber precisely because of the voluptuousness and temptation to wallow. I think it is delicious and that is what sets it apart. I don't think it is sny more linked to the past than it is to the future

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
No I don't think so. I think it is different to feeling somber precisely because of the voluptuousness and temptation to wallow. I think it is delicious and that is what sets it apart. I don't think it is sny more linked to the past than it is to the future

I must admit what you're saying makes literally no emotional sense to me. i can intellectually understand it but I don't think I've ever felt that way.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Like any other self respecting adolescent I loved nothing more than wallowing in voluptuous melancholy. Nothing feels better. But at some point in my early 20s I decided that it was Unmanly and unbecoming, tawdry and self indulgent, and that I had to put a stop to it and ever since that door has been bolted. I can't find my way back to that emotion.

What music expressed this for you at the time. I must say I find it hard to conceptualise the infamous as melancholic. blown out like a fuse but not voluptuous

luka

I think of the melancholy as being light and the sombre as being heavy.

Melancholy music would include a decent lot of jazz, Bill Evans rarely strays far from the melancholic. Singer songwriters. Joni Mitchell's blue for instance. Leonard Cohen on the other hand is never melancholy becaus he is too clumsy, heavy handed. Cohen is morose as opposed to melancholy. Doesn't have the lightness of soul.