Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sadness

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I think that melancholy is bound up with the feeling of impotence. Of feeling that you are unable to act, to affect things, to alter reality. And I think that ever since I made myself real to myself and to the external world, I lost that delicious bittersweet sanctuary. Which I regret to some extent. So I wonder if it is possible to get back by immersing myself in melancholy music?
    for me it's even worse, the feeling that things are destined to be doomed. i sometimes suspect it works in a self-fulfilling prophecy for me, most notably observed in romantic relationships. "this is so beautiful, it can't last long, something must go wrong". as for music, it's strangely enough the very joyful music that makes me melancholic. lot's of tunes in the joy thread for example, such as "letta mbulu - what's wrong with groovin" for example.

Quote Originally Posted by woops View Post
    you don't need music, just fall in love and the rest will follow
    i agree with woops here

How does it happen? It would be simple to make an argument for the exact opposite of this I think.
    Fascism requires the impotent to function though. the historically impotent. if you believe everything is doomed then you've conceded your psychology to the fascists.

this is different to saying that it most probably looks like we are doomed but we still gotta persevere to prevent that.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

You'll have to explain the mechanism because im not following.

melancholy always strives for the pure ideal doesn't it. that unattainable lost pure ideal.

fascism strives for a pure regeneration of the nation-race.

I don't think listening to melancholic music makes you a fascist but the point crowl raises is interesting.
    I respect islamists

I'm not really into pure mono-emotional music. pure happy music can have similar pitfalls. pure dark music most times simply doesn't exist. it's like dungeon dubstep isn't it. just nocturnal trudging beats. can be recontextualised in a set to give people breathers or take them to a psychedelic dimension but has to be used contextually.

you can kinda subvert melancholy though...

I respect islamists

In what way does melancholy strive for a pure ideal? Im not sure of that. It's a feeling. Does it necessarily have a logic?

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    i agree with woops here
    noone falls in love in 2019 though. literally no one. the motivations are far more base and transactional. of course this has positives and negatives.
    I respect islamists

In what way does melancholy strive for a pure ideal? Im not sure of that. It's a feeling. Does it necessarily have a logic?
    Is it a feeling though? uusualy we can define feelings. melancholia seems to be so subjective and always invokes the past. sadness, tearfulness or depression doesn't necessarily have to.
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    noone falls in love in 2019 though. literally no one. the motivations are far more base and transactional. of course this has positives and negatives.
    http://www.dissensus.com/showthread....ght=pull+night

Case in point.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    Is it a feeling though? uusualy we can define feelings. melancholia seems to be so subjective and always invokes the past. sadness, tearfulness or depression doesn't necessarily have to.
    If its not a feeling how might we categorise it?

well it's the same as feeling somber isn't it ultimately if we cut it down to its essential. you seem to want a melancholy that can be totally presentist. how can you be somber without invoking the past?
    I respect islamists

if your whole worldview is bittersweet, if you don't take the poison straight up then how are you gonna move forward? this is why the dosage of melancholy should be precisely calculated.
    I respect islamists

i prefer indulging in dissonance and unease. if not in tonality then in emotion or aesthetic.

I don't think this has to be restricted to the idm or detroit techno boys.
    I respect islamists