"Emotionally Charged Electronica" & The Ineffable Sadness of Woops

woops

is not like other people
Microstoria - Sleepy People

14. I date my getting fully into electronica from the purchase of Oval's Dok, but his side project was even better. If Satie puts you in mind of an empty living room, this is an empty office.

woops

is not like other people
Sparklehorse - Homecoming Queen

15. I was in France once and had the pleasure of a young lady's company. We retired to her bedroom and listened to this album together. Mark Linkous is well regarded in indie circles but I haven't listened to any of his other work. I think a crucial element would be missing. I saw him play at a festival, in a wheelchair, with two mics, one that distorted.

woops

is not like other people
Blonde Redhead - Bipolar

16. These lot were great, dunno what happened to em, they are or were two Italian twins and a Japanese girl who was going out with one or other of them, which makes you think.

woops

is not like other people
Air - All I Need

17. See 15 but it was a Japanese girl this time, I saw this lot in Tokyo too, it was about 30 quid, no support and was over by 10.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty

This whole LP was a crucial element in forming my teenage musical brain. Still stands up. Was hitchhiking a while back and late one night this track comes on while I'm smoking a cig and looking at a clear night sky with a pine forest frame on either side of the road. Felt like a perfect moment. Watching the world with awe indeed.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Loving this so far, and I imagine there will be more than a few sharp turns and unexpected deviations before the end. L'Anamour is an all-time favourite. Another late night heartbreaker from YLT - would have been a quintessential early 90s match for the sublimely nostalgia-melancholy first half hour of the film Super Dark Times (before, spoiler, nasty shit starts happening):

woops

is not like other people
Morphine - Swing it Low

18. I think Morphine are quite well known now, but if you haven't heard of them their LP Yes is very moody, in the right way. Their usual line-up is drums, baritone sax, and two-string bass played with a slide, plus his voice which you will hear. So all very low end. No sax on this track but this is one for the ladies for sure.

woops

is not like other people
Velvet Underground - Pale Blue Eyes

19. Their best album is the fourth one, Loaded, the poppiest. The banana album is very overrated in my opinion, not saying it's bad but they'd go on to write much better songs. This is from the third which is the sweetest and most gentle and has just the right mood for this list. Plus they must be the best looking band of all time.

woops

is not like other people
Nobukazu Takemura - Viking

20. While all the glitch stuff was coming out, Microstoria and so on, this guy was doing some of the nicest electronica alongside. I saw him play once, with the robot voice synced to pictures like that in the video below. The robot would close its eyes and sleep between lines.

woops

is not like other people
Marumari - Circles

21. And then there was electronica. This artist used a Japanese name even though not Japanese. Everything Japanese was big. I went to Japan to buy records. I don't have them any more and some of the best electronic stuff I had is not on Youtube or Soulseek. So that makes me one of the lost diggers of electronica.

woops

is not like other people
Novak - Telesphere

22. back to birmingham, just remembered these lot, always had this record around somehow, even when i got rid of all my other records and i still have it and play it.

woops

is not like other people
Novak - Telesphere

23. and the b-side version is SO good, perhaps better, that it gets its own entry, this is more about what i was trying to say about what i call electronica emerging out of indie.

woops

is not like other people
Quickspace Supersport - Where Have All The Good Times Gone

24. Novak released on the label run by this band, who were normally either very wonky or very rocking and often to be found doing 8- or 10-(not 20) minute riff freakouts. But this one is suitable for my list. Note the correct nomenclature above.

woops

is not like other people
Hood - The Year of Occasional Lull

25. This band were everywhere and released a right old load of grey lo-fi drosscore, but they had their moments especially when they got the drums out. I repeat, this was just "indie", "indietronica" was a few years later - these things matter to me.

Leo

funny to see all these yo la tengo tracks, ira and Georgia lived in my town for many years. I'd see them a few times a week riding their bicycles down the street or in line at the market.

also saw at least a dozen of their infamous annual Hanukkah shows at maxwell's. for each of the eight nights of Hanukkah, they'd book a famous comedian and secret opening band before they came on, play a different set each night and later joined by special guests for encores. I've seen them with David Byrne, El-P, John zorn, mission of Burma, the sea & cake, tortoise, the feelies, ray Davies, Ronnie Spector, sun ra arkestra and others. they were benefit show, each night's take going to a different charity. good people.

luka

I know woops as well as just about anyone but even I can't figure out if he KNOWS that his 100 is compiled of the most reviled music of the last 20 years and is suggesting we reappraise it, or if he is just completely oblivious to the fact this is precisely the music 85% of dissensus are running away from. The skeletons in the cupboard. The auntie in the attic. The shameful secret. The body beneath the patio.

luka

Well what I said here was true. But it was also abominably cruel and unforgivable. And I don't know what to feel. I want woops to carry on. I think that it is of vital importance that he carry on. And I think that the fact of the music is unimportant. That it is or isn't fashionable. Edmund, it is not fashionable. And it doesn't matter. It is your life, and your memories you are sharing with us. It is the very fibre of your being. And I am very sorry for being dismissive of that. It doesn't matter if I like the music I want to share the memories and your company. Please forgive me for being cruel.