Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Emotionally Charged Electronica" & The Ineffable Sadness of Woops

Default Pavement - Strings of Nashville

9. Their first three albums were good but this is maybe their saddest song, on a b-side of a single I forget which one

Default Yo La Tengo - Autumn Sweater

10. I can see why some of you might sneer at indie music, but this is where it looked like it was going for a short while, but it didn't. Everyone started doing 20-minute freakout jams instead, so I got into electronica. I blame the Wire magazine.

This came on in a pub recently. First time I'd heard it for almost 20 years and I was like f*** me, this sounds a bit like Autumn Sweater, but it must be a remix. It wasn't though, I'd just forgotten how good it was.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to woops For This Useful Post:

Default Yo La Tengo - Demons

11. I called for this at a festival and they actually played it, which brings us to this thread.

Default Flying Saucer Attack - Psychic Driving

12. Before electronica proper (don't argue Droid), you had space rock, which was on the way, as this track proves, by a band only too capable of the 20-minute freakout.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woops For This Useful Post:

Default The Third Eye Foundation - The Out Sound From Way In

13. And the same goes double or triple for this guy, also from Bristol, who was very remarkable at the time, playing solo with electronic equipment.

Default Microstoria - Sleepy People

14. I date my getting fully into electronica from the purchase of Oval's Dok, but his side project was even better. If Satie puts you in mind of an empty living room, this is an empty office.

Default Sparklehorse - Homecoming Queen

15. I was in France once and had the pleasure of a young lady's company. We retired to her bedroom and listened to this album together. Mark Linkous is well regarded in indie circles but I haven't listened to any of his other work. I think a crucial element would be missing. I saw him play at a festival, in a wheelchair, with two mics, one that distorted.

Default Blonde Redhead - Bipolar

16. These lot were great, dunno what happened to em, they are or were two Italian twins and a Japanese girl who was going out with one or other of them, which makes you think.

Default Air - All I Need

17. See 15 but it was a Japanese girl this time, I saw this lot in Tokyo too, it was about 30 quid, no support and was over by 10.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woops For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by woops View Post
    This whole LP was a crucial element in forming my teenage musical brain. Still stands up. Was hitchhiking a while back and late one night this track comes on while I'm smoking a cig and looking at a clear night sky with a pine forest frame on either side of the road. Felt like a perfect moment. Watching the world with awe indeed.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Loving this so far, and I imagine there will be more than a few sharp turns and unexpected deviations before the end. L'Anamour is an all-time favourite. Another late night heartbreaker from YLT - would have been a quintessential early 90s match for the sublimely nostalgia-melancholy first half hour of the film Super Dark Times (before, spoiler, nasty shit starts happening):

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    This whole LP was a crucial element in forming my teenage musical brain. Still stands up.
    I listened to it on headphones while I was posting and was amazed by the synth and electric piano parts at the end.

Default Morphine - Swing it Low

18. I think Morphine are quite well known now, but if you haven't heard of them their LP Yes is very moody, in the right way. Their usual line-up is drums, baritone sax, and two-string bass played with a slide, plus his voice which you will hear. So all very low end. No sax on this track but this is one for the ladies for sure.

Default Velvet Underground - Pale Blue Eyes

19. Their best album is the fourth one, Loaded, the poppiest. The banana album is very overrated in my opinion, not saying it's bad but they'd go on to write much better songs. This is from the third which is the sweetest and most gentle and has just the right mood for this list. Plus they must be the best looking band of all time.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to woops For This Useful Post: