Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Emotionally Charged Electronica" & The Ineffable Sadness of Woops

Default Nobukazu Takemura - Viking

20. While all the glitch stuff was coming out, Microstoria and so on, this guy was doing some of the nicest electronica alongside. I saw him play once, with the robot voice synced to pictures like that in the video below. The robot would close its eyes and sleep between lines.

Default Marumari - Circles

21. And then there was electronica. This artist used a Japanese name even though not Japanese. Everything Japanese was big. I went to Japan to buy records. I don't have them any more and some of the best electronic stuff I had is not on Youtube or Soulseek. So that makes me one of the lost diggers of electronica.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woops For This Useful Post:

Default bonus track

Default Novak - Telesphere

22. back to birmingham, just remembered these lot, always had this record around somehow, even when i got rid of all my other records and i still have it and play it.

Default Novak - Telesphere

23. and the b-side version is SO good, perhaps better, that it gets its own entry, this is more about what i was trying to say about what i call electronica emerging out of indie.

Default Quickspace Supersport - Where Have All The Good Times Gone

24. Novak released on the label run by this band, who were normally either very wonky or very rocking and often to be found doing 8- or 10-(not 20) minute riff freakouts. But this one is suitable for my list. Note the correct nomenclature above.

Default Hood - The Year of Occasional Lull

25. This band were everywhere and released a right old load of grey lo-fi drosscore, but they had their moments especially when they got the drums out. I repeat, this was just "indie", "indietronica" was a few years later - these things matter to me.

funny to see all these yo la tengo tracks, ira and Georgia lived in my town for many years. I'd see them a few times a week riding their bicycles down the street or in line at the market.

also saw at least a dozen of their infamous annual Hanukkah shows at maxwell's. for each of the eight nights of Hanukkah, they'd book a famous comedian and secret opening band before they came on, play a different set each night and later joined by special guests for encores. I've seen them with David Byrne, El-P, John zorn, mission of Burma, the sea & cake, tortoise, the feelies, ray Davies, Ronnie Spector, sun ra arkestra and others. they were benefit show, each night's take going to a different charity. good people.

I know woops as well as just about anyone but even I can't figure out if he KNOWS that his 100 is compiled of the most reviled music of the last 20 years and is suggesting we reappraise it, or if he is just completely oblivious to the fact this is precisely the music 85% of dissensus are running away from. The skeletons in the cupboard. The auntie in the attic. The shameful secret. The body beneath the patio.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Well what I said here was true. But it was also abominably cruel and unforgivable. And I don't know what to feel. I want woops to carry on. I think that it is of vital importance that he carry on. And I think that the fact of the music is unimportant. That it is or isn't fashionable. Edmund, it is not fashionable. And it doesn't matter. It is your life, and your memories you are sharing with us. It is the very fibre of your being. And I am very sorry for being dismissive of that. It doesn't matter if I like the music I want to share the memories and your company. Please forgive me for being cruel.

What I like least about myself is my insensitivity. I think that this is a terrible wrong. I don't want to be sensitive. I feel that I cannot afford it. In my position. That there is too much carnage behind me. And because I don't allow myself sensitivity I don't make allowances for it in other people. And I need to find a way to recalibrate and be kinder.

edmund we need this as a spotify - or at the least youtube playlist - please

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    What I like least about myself is my insensitivity. I think that this is a terrible wrong. I don't want to be sensitive. I feel that I cannot afford it. In my position. That there is too much carnage behind me. And because I don't allow myself sensitivity I don't make allowances for it in other people. And I need to find a way to recalibrate and be kinder.
    The ineffable insensitivity of Luke

Im waiting for the electronic segment. There's already been a couple of things here I didnt know.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

been enjoying this please continue!