"Emotionally Charged Electronica" & The Ineffable Sadness of Woops

luka

What I like least about myself is my insensitivity. I think that this is a terrible wrong. I don't want to be sensitive. I feel that I cannot afford it. In my position. That there is too much carnage behind me. And because I don't allow myself sensitivity I don't make allowances for it in other people. And I need to find a way to recalibrate and be kinder.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What I like least about myself is my insensitivity. I think that this is a terrible wrong. I don't want to be sensitive. I feel that I cannot afford it. In my position. That there is too much carnage behind me. And because I don't allow myself sensitivity I don't make allowances for it in other people. And I need to find a way to recalibrate and be kinder.

The ineffable insensitivity of Luke

droid

Im waiting for the electronic segment. There's already been a couple of things here I didnt know.

luka

He's back! The Moses of electronically charged emotronica! Thank God! Let's get cross the Red Sea!

woops

is not like other people
Grandaddy - Everything Beautiful is Far Away

26. I'm not a continuum person as you'll have noticed. Pirate radio doesn't reach Lancashire. BUT (going back a bit) Radio 1 does, namely Mark and Lard broadcasting from Manchester, and this was probably one of the best of their ones. Weird burst of noise. Listen to the song and the lyrics. Then the synth comes in and kicks it into touch, well that was me thanks. I thought, there must be more music out there like this.

And of course it's not "fashionable", what would I have been doing listening to "fashionable" music??!?? That would have meant going to a happy hardcore rave or something. If I'd gone down that route I'd be on the Jamiroquai thread now, wouldn't have discovered any of this music I'm posting, and probably wouldn't be on Dissensus at all.

woops

is not like other people
Grandaddy - Collective Dreamwish of Upperclass Elegance

27. I'm trying not to double up too many bands but I can't resist this one. It's not happy but it's not dark. There's a gentle sadness there, with a kind of resignation and relaxation. Which is what we call melancholy. The fact that they then go off on a mega-lamenting guitar line makes it all the more interesting. It also has a great title which is f*** all to do with the song, so, great band. Never saw them live.

woops

is not like other people
PJ Harvey and John Parrish - Heela

28. Another one from the same period. I don't like her other stuff much but this whole album is great, recommend it, used to listen to it every day at the time it came out. And you can say what you like about fashion but for all the indie I haven't posted a single jingle jangle cos even I have standards. Anyway what kind of music is this? It's not indie or rock. It's so strange and spooky, again, don't know anything else like it.

woops

is not like other people
Richard Devine - Anthracite T. Vari

29. Back to the electronica stuff. I was at least clued up enough to realise that I was basically listening to garage here. Not being a continuum person, I don't buy into the intelligent=wrong idea. I loved stuff like this and can remember getting bunnyhausen to play it at my birthday party. The key point really is that I'd never heard anything else like it. Schematic was a fantastic label.

woops

is not like other people
Lithops - Tubino See Through

30. Again, this came out on a proper INDIE label, on 7", with a free sticker on clear vinyl with a hand done label, like a true INDIE!!! label. But it's full on dreamy electronica by the guy from Microstoria, Jan St. Werner. This meant (means) much more to me than any Selected Ambient Work.

woops

is not like other people
Lithops did an LP called Didot of which I don't expect to see another copy in my life!

He also released an LP by Don't Dolby on his label Gefriem, same, doubt I'll ever see that again

woops

is not like other people
S´apex - Henryk (Funkstörung Remix)

31. The melancholy kind of took a back seat as I got more into electronic stuff, but there was still a crossover. I saw these 2 play once and they did pure hip hop for the first half hour before the IDM stuff kicked in.

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
Team Doyobi - Pushchairs For Grown Ups

32. Spent plenty of time just listening to mad scrambled electronic stuff not worrying about emotions, just thinking wtf is this - it seemed like such funny music.