craner

Beast of Burden
That will be Orbit in Morley. Mills, Garnier, Bollard etc played there. It was either go there after the Warehouse at 2.00 or to come to some parties in Chapeltown. Trade Club, Francis street or West Indian Centre.

Yeah, that was it. My only trip there. Never went back.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Lol, Mr C's really getting it. Would have been cool to go to subbterrean at The End though. I hear that got pretty deep & twisted. Although I think Murf was the real one to catch there. And the original Clink St. Acid parties sound like they were absolutely amazing. Colin Faver etc

Anyone here ever go to either of these nights?

murf is alright but i swear posting in his group is like some police inquisition process everything has to be their idea of deep (ignoring that deep is of course subjective.)

honestly mr. c given that time travel is impossible I wouldn't worry about my shooting pronouncements on here as long as you play a 94 style dave clarke set if i have the opportunity of seeing you which of course will never happen because you play, well, tech house.

For real though, my deep techno mans are people like donato dozzy. he just lets shit roll out effortlessly. svreca also alright. mike parker good, terence dixon, and one of the other prologue guys. jerron search. europe better at the deeper vibes than uk i feel, we're always more like let's be 'aving ya.

craner

Beast of Burden
I feel like the divide between my 100 list and Third's was the Pleasure Principle vs. the Deep Punishment Aesthetic.

With nuances obviously.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Tedious purist techno mentality invading a previously juicy exciting elastic protean space.

ehhh, not really. the neurofunk thing could have been exciting all those obsessively clean productions like lab experiments. the problem is a lot of people here don't like dancing to hyper-fast chopped breaks. I know in dublin it's different but people were already moving to garage in 94-95 over here.

For the majority of non-dance music london, jungle was a flash in the pan. garage and grime were not, for whatever reasons.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
And I loved and admired Third's list, it made me feel embarrassed about mine, so that's not a dig or an argument.

craner

Beast of Burden
ehhh, not really. the neurofunk thing could have been exciting all those obsessively clean productions like lab experiments. the problem is a lot of people here don't like dancing to hyper-fast chopped breaks. I know in dublin it's different but people were already moving to garage in 94-95 over here.

Hey, it's Craner you're talking to, not Droid!

I was keeping up very closely from early on, it's how I keep my street cred around here!

luka

I love thirds revaluations of pounding moron music. It's brilliant and surprising and confounding but I fear i would still find a whole night of techno a tedious slog. Maybe I don't take enough drugs

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Hey, it's Craner you're talking to, not Droid!

I was keeping up very closely from early on, it's how I keep my street cred around here!

haha yeah. :) i just edited my other post but I'll put that line below

For the majority of non-dance music insiders london, jungle was a flash in the pan. garage and grime were not, for whatever reasons.

craner

Beast of Burden
You have to remember that some of us here are very old and witnessed all this unfold as it happened!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
You have to remember that some of us here are very old and witnessed all this unfold as it happened!

Yeah sure but what i say is true though. you can ask Luke. jungle to outsiders was a flash in the pan. you won't ever hear it in london today outside jungle nights. just briefly 94 and a bit of 95. thats it.

garage however is a folk memory of the city. everyone knows garage, even if they aren't music heads.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I love thirds revaluations of pounding moron music. It's brilliant and surprising and confounding but I fear i would still find a whole night of techno a tedious slog. Maybe I don't take enough drugs

i would find a whole night of one type of techno a tedious slog, but that equally apply to jungle. a whole night of atmospheric would bore me stiff.

all the types innit!

craner

Beast of Burden
True. I used to go to London in the early 90s and from 94 took cassettes to record music from the radio. There were still a lot of pirates in South London in 95/96 playing drum and bass but also more playing house and garage dubs pre-Speed Garage even. I have the tapes. It was a febrile period. Drum and bass lost the constituencies after that but I didn't really check in 97. By the time I started doing it again it was all garage, and it was amazing. Going to London in late 98 for a trip with some tapes and flipping the dial converted me to garage. I couldn't believe what I was hearing!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm just saying the techy/neuro/alienating direction was inevitable really.

see the thing about london is we have the most beautiful people in the world but we don't value them. that's what unfortunate characteristic we've internalised from our English colonisers.

craner

Beast of Burden
I know. I love London. I lived there for 9 fanatsic years. You don't have to convert me. I just can't afford to live there now, so I live by the beaches of South Wales instead.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I think that's always been the big psychological motivator of dissensus. look at this pathbreaking language, this language that still sounds totally unexplored. why is this? why does it still sound new?

we all find reasons for it being shunned, and those are, to a degree, all correct. and those constituent parts added up tell nearly all the story.

but ultimately club culture no matter how much we londonise it is always going to be an ibiza thing. a conformist thing, a bankers thing. a white thing, essentially. jungle was a black thing that could not be understood in the white macroeconomy it was hatched in.

this is why techno and techstep nights in some senses (aesthetically not musically) have more in common with punk brutalism than they do clubbing taken as a whole. it's also what i find is my stumbling block with corpse. he likes the cheap and the knock off, i like the freezing cold.

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
murf is alright but i swear posting in his group is like some police inquisition process everything has to be their idea of deep (ignoring that deep is of course subjective.)

WGD is one of the few fbook groups I still follow. I know what you mean but I guess I respect them sticking to their guns. Otherwise it would end up with bare... tech house lol. Definitely found some amazing shit through that thing.

And yeah modern day Mr c and his influence on ldn techno is way sub par. Pedestrian at best. Off with his smug head.

Have to say I'm well out of the current techno loop lately. House too tbh. Haven't paid much attention for at least a year. Bored with it. Although it's definitely where my heart lies when it comes to dancing. Haven't danced to breaks in donkeys aside from the odd track thrown into a house set. Wouldn't mind checking some out if the opportunity arises.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
WGD is one of the few fbook groups I still follow. I know what you mean but I guess I respect them sticking to their guns. Otherwise it would end up with bare... tech house lol. Definitely found some amazing shit through that thing.

And yeah modern day Mr c and his influence on ldn techno is way sub par. Pedestrian at best. Off with his smug head.

Have to say I'm well out of the current techno loop lately. House too tbh. Haven't paid much attention for at least a year. Bored with it. Although it's definitely where my heart lies when it comes to dancing. Haven't danced to breaks in donkeys aside from the odd track thrown into a house set. Wouldn't mind checking some out if the opportunity arises.

yeah true i just want to post a lot of deep darkside in there, like the hoppa and bay b kane one, is it on youtube? probably not give me a sec...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

here you go. this is deep to me, would absolutely not be allowed in that group. mr. c not liking this pioneering tune is a huge problem for me