woops

is not like other people
you always have to go 4 lower don't you? electronica started in 94 and all that

Leo

considering droid's love of drone, I'm surprised he isn't lobbying for zero.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
It's all sound and fury cos none of us produce, own a record label, are influential in the media, or anything.

I've often wondered if Dissensus could ever really *do* something, other than chatting on here (not to say that chatting on here isn't something in of itself).

i actually think there is so much talent on this forum

other_life

bioconfused
(there was that EDM Trap thing wasn't there, I didn't dare listen to it)
the first girl unit ep was fine but i also love Treacle and Syrup and Sap and Kool-Aid
the attention to detail in the production of trap, bop and drill (both kinds) makes it a form of dance music that needs no real re-figuring by outsiders or any other perspective on it, is what i've found.
i get the sense people are as sick of the hi-hat skitter as we are of the thread's '130 thud' though

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
The problem isn't house music, it's that there's no alternative worth shouting about.

The only solution is to make something that's new and exciting.

Has any house music or dance music successfully incorporated the drums of Trap/drill?

You can love or hate Trap but that beat is the modern sound, and I wonder if it's penetrated these other genres (there was that EDM Trap thing wasn't there, I didn't dare listen to it)

yes, trap dubstep. and some of the new grime.

It doesn't work man. you're way off the mark here. those are rap beats, not dance beats. they don't groove or thump like grime or garage beats did. People like Keith are doing interesting things with the trap beat. dance music producers in any genre are not.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
House music, and techno, and bass, and all of these humdrum sounds at the same tempo doing more or less the same thing.

Go to a reggae dance and you'll hear more rhythmic diversity in 30 minutes than you'll hear in the last 5000 hours of boiler rooms.

This was true in the 80s, 90s and early mid 2000s.

Is it really true in the 2010s?

imo the only way you can say that is selectors dropping old riddims.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Tbfh this does feel like some end of an epoch type shit. All the stuff going on at the same time, rise of the dark side but with no cultural buffer for those opposed. There was always some kind of musical solace, something to keep the fires burning. Resistance. Keep yer chin up. What do we have now? Ur gonna be singing ratm soon, mark my words

And this hippy-ism is where i tend to part ways with you my man. the problem is everything is dull because of racism. i literally spent 4 fucking days on twitter trying to explain shit to these cunts. they are a modulated culture. interchangeable consumers. they don't want anything else, just to keep a machine going because it keeps up the middle class lifestyle of their mates and families.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this is why dance music is so stagnant. in hindsight post-dubstep was the reabsorbtion of racism back into acceptable dance music parlence. the nike airs massive couldn't have destroyed us so easily if we hadn't been already weakened by then and if they didn't talk the right leftist talk. but leftism of course is mostly a white supremacist ideology.

dance music is a pr machine now nothing else.

luka

What I find somewhat baffling about your stance third is that you immerse yourself in white middle class milleus and then complain they are too white snd middle class. Like going to surrey and asking where all the black people are.

droid

This was true in the 80s, 90s and early mid 2000s.

Is it really true in the 2010s?

imo the only way you can say that is selectors dropping old riddims.

It was reggae, not dancehall. Even so Id say reggae still has more diversity in rhythm and tempo than 4 to the floor, maybe even dancehall, though thats been homogenised as well.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
And this hippy-ism is where i tend to part ways with you my man. the problem is everything is dull because of racism. i literally spent 4 fucking days on twitter trying to explain shit to these cunts. they are a modulated culture. interchangeable consumers. they don't want anything else, just to keep a machine going because it keeps up the middle class lifestyle of their mates and families.

Actually im with you to a point and labelled this phenom musical gentrification a few years ago. White Middle classes en Masse getting in on a scene tends to be a red flag. They have more money so can basically take over and act like they own it. Even act as if they were the originators.

What I'm really talking about is that it doesn't matter who you are or where you are, it's very very hard not to sound derivative at this point in time.

Sure there are little beams of light poking through the noise here and there but they're getting rarer and rarer. Same goes for almost all media. Film maybe being the worst offender. I guess the essence of what I always seem to fail at putting across is that dance music had a finite amount of time to sound fresh to us. Theres the boom when all the gear comes out and then at some point becomes affordable to the street kids who had the spark to make the interesting shit which inevitably then gets taken over by other people who refine the sound, polish it up, sometimes break away, make new offshoots. But there comes a point where all possible avenues have been mined. And I think we might be at that point. The Internet sped this process up tenfold so that all the info on how to make all the amazing shit becomes available and then all you're left with is masses of over produced same sounding shit and revivalist bs.

Stalemate. In the new stuff thread, is any of that truly new? Man, between genesis p or ridge and his gangs, aphex and a handful of other randomly selected masters of their domain most of the shit that could be done ws done by them decades ago. It just got more hi def and refined as time went on.

I don't think color comes into it as much anymore. Even Africa, that seemingly endless fountain of freshness sounds way less forward moving to me now. And no, I don't have my finger on every pulse, but I feel like I do enough to be able to find anything out there that would truly ring an alarm as loud as grime did.

I just think humanity and technology have come to a point where we've moved so fast in such a short space of time that yeah maybe Luka's idea of a 5 year break or some other such full Taliban move is required to push out something genuinely new. And I do find it interesting that this happens at the same point where we're witnessing so much sociopolitical, environmental and spiritual depletion. Like so much is happening in the world that used to act as a spark for young people to get inspired. Usually when times are tough. These are the toughest times I've ever witnessed and the media landscape is at its weakest.

I dunno man. All feels a bit in sync.

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I'd also add that less than color and more to do with us reconnecting to a spiritual, nature based mentality in opposition to the insane materialism with the help of psychedelics might be a push in the right direction. And yeah, that is most definitely stigmatised as hippy. Which I think is a shame because it trivializes so much useful shit. If it was a bit more methodical and less do you own thing maaan it might just reap some huge benefits.

Fuck, if only I was able to be funny when writing this shit it might actually be palatable

luka

The nature thing is difficult when you live in a city. It's not even all that easy in the countryside given the access/right of way issues and the monocrop deserts. For most of us, sadly, cos I like trees and stuff, it's not an option.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
You can still go to parks, take psychs. I'm not saying a total going back to nature. I'm not that naive. I'm just saying that tripping with ideas about what you want to gain. Or maybe just a little guidance in concurrence with a lot of the movements already going in that direction might be one of our last hopes as a species for avoiding total sefl destruction. Anyway you're going to that big psych conference. If anyone should be talking about this it's you after you get back.