Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GENESIS: The Dissensus Bible Group.

Default GENESIS: The Dissensus Bible Group.

Having read up to the expulsion from the garden what impresses itself on me is how the Holy text brings the counter-text into being, and thus, I suppose, how God gives rise to Satan.

It is there, between the lines, always present, the very nature of holy writ makes this necessary and inevitable.

Paradise Lost is, as Blake pointed out, that counter-text, the advocacy of Satan.

The opposition between knowledge and obedience also seems fundamental and unavoidable, written into the very nature of what is. I don't think this can be evaded. He-Who-Knows-What-Is-Best-For-You (and I don't doubt, actually, that He does) is in opposition to Experience. Experience is the road to death. The wages of sin is death. Again this is in Blake, part of what is folded in to Blake's notion of Experience.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

i was thinking of this. we are told in so many ways in so many places that the true religion hinges on the discernment and knowledge of good and evil, and choosing the former over the latter. "run to every good and flee from every evil" (jewish) "love good and hate evil" (hermetic). we don't know shit fuck even less so as children.

but it's da'at [knowledge] itself which problematises this and make it thorny, twisting, woven tightly together etc. it's not possible to delve into it without making errors, once you set out you inevitably stumble, there is evening before there is morning, there is a descent before/into the ascent... This Is The Power of Dialectics

i think we could go on forever ab everything in b'reishis [genesis] but we should read along w the 929/tanakh yomi thing, maybe. i don't care that it's a zionist initiative, that comes w the territory and it's a good idea, besides (one chapter of the hebrew bible (w its book order and verse numberings, mind) a day).

we could also wait to start a structured reading w simchat torah ['joys of torah', when the traditional reading cycle starts over] this year [evening of october 21-morning of october 22], and follow along w the weekly torah portions and complementary haftarot (traditional readings from the prophets + writings).

the downside to this is waiting, whereas we could jump right into 929 since that doesn't end for another 3 years, anyway. craner and i it sounds like were both at shmuel alef/1 samuel anyway which is where that is right now (according to sefaria.org [killer resource]).
    the parashat ['sections' 'portions'] also does not cover the whole prophets + writings

the obvious upside to waiting? sacred time.
    where's your frequency luka
    Last edited by other_life; 18-06-2019 at 08:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It says bless the lads and it means bless the lads.
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    i don't know, probably some marxist cultural theory or something
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    gabber terrorism is fun but not all the time, sometimes you gotta be sophisticated or sulky for the ladies.
    https://manifestacionesoterica.bandcamp.com/

It's on the way up but please understand you are literally speaking a foreign language here and if you don't translate it I can't communicate with you. I literally don't know what you are saying.

Who's actually reading Genesis then? Who's in?

Me, poetix, cranium, corpsey, other life, padraig (us)
    Last edited by luka; 18-06-2019 at 09:00 PM.

I'll read it. My nose is blocked up and my head is wracked tonight, and the serpent ate my homework, so I won't get far.
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

It's on the way up but please understand you are literally speaking a foreign language here and if you don't translate it I can't communicate with you. I literally don't know what you are saying.
    edited to be more readable
    gabber terrorism is fun but not all the time, sometimes you gotta be sophisticated or sulky for the ladies.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to other_life For This Useful Post:

I'm 100% in

Got thru a big chunk of it awhile back

Up to destruction of Sodom etc iirc

KJV only tho, none of this modern plainspoken biz

11. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

Thanks for cooperating. I'm not waiting till October. I never wait for anything. It's impossible for me. I've got a malfunction.

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    I'm 100% in

Got thru a big chunk of it awhile back

Up to destruction of Sodom etc iirc

KJV only tho, none of this modern plainspoken biz
    Welcome aboard.

One strong reaction I remember

Old Testament God is a petulant asshole

Always punishing people for breaking rules they didn't know existed, needlessly cruel, vindictive

Abraham + Isaac, Moses, Job, Tower of Babel, etc

https://www.929.org.il/lang/en/today
    this updates automatically

You can see why they (or anybody) would think God is a cruel vindictive being, though. The Greek gods are the same, perhaps worse.

Like OK its allegorical + reflects the culture (tough, warlike, insular desert/hill people) that produced it

But still

Its not the harshness, but the pettiness + insecurity OT Hod is depicted with. Like shouldn't this all powerful deity be above most of this, aloof?

Aren't most kings/rulers petty and insecure?