Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tradition!

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    New Dawn. Ancient wisdom. New thinking! Not a publication I would have imagined you subscribing to
    Google takes one to all sorts of places...

Quote Originally Posted by poetix View Post
    Mystical experience is often an experience of timelessness, of temporal flow becoming a kind of crystal in which all things are present in simultaneity, and the whole is seen to be patterned in some way even if the pattern is not fully apprehensible. I remember a conversation with you about the kind of vision in which you perceive the book in which the most perfect things are written - you can't read them, but you have the calming and awe-inspiring sense that the book exists and that the ideal of perfect writing is realised somewhere, even if it's out of reach. Evola says in Revolt against the Modern World that in a certain sense the perspective he is trying to indicate cannot be shown, but only remembered: there's definitely an appeal to that form of mystical perception, which is less like "seeing" an object and more like "being shown" or finding oneself within the consciousness of something unobjectifiable.
    Yes, this is a conversation I want to have but I need to have a shower and get dressed and take a break from the screen. I will hopefully come back with something useful to say.

Energeia, eternity’s delight
    in time; even in deep space cryo-sleep
    from which you wake much travelled though inert.

Say self-delight, as in the roadside cowslip
    flowering in dense stands along the run
    of harrowed earthworks, or the mission-creep

of bindweed raising trumpets to the sun;
    say otherwise eternity’s blind-sight
    into the moment, glimmering as one.

Do you think perhaps the tension between your bad taste instincts (sci fi. Computer games. Heavy metal) and your good taste instincts (er... Auden?) could be Usefully escalated into something more hysterical?

Rather than smoothing out, could have elbows and Knees protruding

i mean, it IS funny, forcing crypto sleep into relationship with cowslips but I wonder

...it is cryo-sleep, as in what the unfortunate Dr Weir wakes from into the nightmare of Event Horizon, or the even more unfortunate travellers of 2001 never wake from at all. I can't remember why I put that in there. I suppose (but I'm now interpreting my own writing, having forgotten what I meant) the idea is that there is still "energy", and hence eternity's delight in time or "eternity's blind-sight / into the moment", in a condition of deep stasis and inertia - you're still zipping across the cosmos, even if you're personally immobile...

It turned back again, it was crypto sleep for a while in my mind

in terms of my instincts I would allow the cryo sleep elements in your poetry more weight and more disruptive impact unless you want to foreground the comical aspect. It's Interesting because these are different imaginaries entirely the English pastoral and the sci fi

It is funny. And I am not afraid of the comical. I don't think it's to be avoided. If it's what you want

Ignore me if I'm being rude I'm slightly intoxicated and disinhibited