luka

people have been looking for a lever to overturn this world for quite some time now. because we are all so bored and dissatisfied.
but theres not a lot lying around. we'll try anything, we're desperate enough and bored enough.

poetix

we murder to dissect
One thing that's been at the back of my mind for a while is that you can't entirely separate out the Guénons and Evolas and Savitri Devis from a far wider current of galaxy-brained dissatisfaction with the metaphysical state of the world. Pound and Eliot is the least of it - you can find it as a tendency in almost every political camp. The one that especially makes me wince is that there are bits of Guénon objecting to the tyranny of quantification and the degenerate state of democracy that could have come straight from Badiou, who also thinks that individual life finds its deepest meaning in identification with suprapersonal values and so on. I know how to make the argument that Badiou is different, because he makes it himself (the right-wing take suprapersonal value to be a timeless feature of a static, hierarchical cosmic order; Badiou takes it to be the force of an absolutely unpredictable upheaval in the order of things which overturns all hierarchies - "love what you will never believe twice"), but the common theme is contempt and disgust for the "massification" of society, the corrupt institutions of liberal order, the administrative banalities which impose themselves on everything.

Liam Kofi Bright has a nice phrase about how some philosophers are "basically decent bureaucrats" while others are "sexy murder poets", and the Traditionalists I suppose are (or want to picture themselves as) the sexy murder poets of the right. Tradcaths don't see themselves as heart-stoppingly straight and boring, they seem themselves as existential heroes ready to throw off the false values of a degenerate age and pledge themselves to honour, beauty and fidelity. Well, who doesn't want to be a sexy murder poet?

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen

vimothy

yurp
Problem with "tradition" is not the unwarranted reliance on an authoritative moral code (modern progressives must also get their morality from somewhere, or fall into nihilism), but that "tradition" itself is unreachable. Thus, the "traditional" critique of modernity is completely neutered. It's irrelevant.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.
Gustav Mahler said that, but I heard it rephrased by Princess Caroline of Monaco on a show about the principality last night. She said "Culture is not the worship of ashes but the passing of fire", in the context of the ballet she supports. I thought that was good, and looked it up just now.

woops

is not like other people
Energeia, eternity’s delight
in time; even in deep space cryo-sleep
from which you wake much travelled though inert.

Say self-delight, as in the roadside cowslip
flowering in dense stands along the run
of harrowed earthworks, or the mission-creep

of bindweed raising trumpets to the sun;
say otherwise eternity’s blind-sight
into the moment, glimmering as one.
I enjoyed this, let's have a thread of poetix's poems, with a ban on mentioning any philosophers or critical theorists, poetix also to replace "we murder to dissect" with "sexy murder poet" surprised this hasn't happened already tbh