luka

i mean, it IS funny, forcing crypto sleep into relationship with cowslips but I wonder

poetix

we murder to dissect
...it is cryo-sleep, as in what the unfortunate Dr Weir wakes from into the nightmare of Event Horizon, or the even more unfortunate travellers of 2001 never wake from at all. I can't remember why I put that in there. I suppose (but I'm now interpreting my own writing, having forgotten what I meant) the idea is that there is still "energy", and hence eternity's delight in time or "eternity's blind-sight / into the moment", in a condition of deep stasis and inertia - you're still zipping across the cosmos, even if you're personally immobile...

luka

in terms of my instincts I would allow the cryo sleep elements in your poetry more weight and more disruptive impact unless you want to foreground the comical aspect. It's Interesting because these are different imaginaries entirely the English pastoral and the sci fi

luka

It is funny. And I am not afraid of the comical. I don't think it's to be avoided. If it's what you want

poetix

we murder to dissect
I used to walk through the streets of Ross-on-Wye, the small market town I grew up in, with my nose glued to whatever Philip K. Dick or Julian May or Clifford D. Simak book I was bringing home from the library, so for me the pastoral and the sci-fi are very biographically entangled. I lived in a rural Eden, and had a bedroom wallpapered with images of the space shuttle.

luka

An important distinction: "Tradition" as a term of art in New Right thought means something other than "tradition" in the sense of folk as a "living tradition", or (I think analogously) the "hardcore continuum", or even the relative stability of "traditional" practices and symbolic reference points. It means (from Guenon onwards) a hidden set of invariant features of human reality which have to be discerned through historically-existing traditions, which are usually conceived of as already-degraded echoes of the true Tradition. For example, in The Metaphysics of War, Evola has an argument he wants to make about mors triumphalis, the suprapersonal attitude towards death in combat, which he pursues by considering both the martial ideology of the Crusaders, and that of their Muslim enemies: both point, according to him, in the same direction, towards a suprapersonal conception of martial heroism as triumph over the material baseness of the self, the individual's fear of death and propensity to become a creature of blind self-preserving instinct in situations of mortal peril: such a triumph brings recognition by the pagan (e.g. Roman or Nordic) Gods, or identity with the divine principle. This triumphant self-transcendence is the metaphysical reality that Tradition timelessly encapsulates.

Well, OK: there's a common theme of self-overcoming in the martial ideology of various different traditions, which undoubtedly reflects a common perception of what heroism entails and accomplishes (and is also a useful motivating fable for people who have to be persuaded to risk their lives in combat). And perhaps from this we can learn something about the levers that control human personality, the potential we have for selfless action, the consciousness-altering character of situations of extreme risk and so on. But the mystical projection of all of this into an out-of-this-world realm of timeless verities is something else again, and it forms the basis of a reading of all other perceptions of the reality of combat - Wilfred Owen's, say, in Dulce et Decorum Est, which angrily repudiates the "old lie" that it is glorious and ennobling to die in battle - as degenerate, as corruptions of the original and timeless heroic principle which we should be trying to recover and reinstate. That's when it becomes ideology - and specifically fascist ideology.

Some of this comes up in other life's esoterica thread. Particularly this sense of a degraded pure essence of information. Pure signal. No noise.

luka

Prynne is a good person for all this because he comes in an unbroken line of descent from Ezra pound. Pound to Olson to Prynne. (To me) so he understands this stuff from the ground up. From the gerund.

luka

I'm not willing, at his stage in my life, to go nearly as far as Prynne has gone into materialism and the anti romantic, but he's sobered me up to a degree.

luka

Long before World War I, the celebration of a new type of man became
prevalent, finding its adepts in almost all branches of the social sciences
and humanities, from economics to philosophy. Right down the line, an
attack was launched against the hypertrophic rationalization and
technification of life, against the ‘bourgeois’ of the nineteenth century

Negations
with his petty joys and petty aims, against the shopkeeper and merchant
spirit and the destructive ‘anemia’ of existence. A new image of man
was held up to this paltry predecessor, composed of traits from the age
of the Viking, German mysticism, the Renaissance, and the Prussian
military: the heroic man, bound to the forces of blood and soil – the
man who travels through heaven and hell, who does not reason why,
but goes into action to do and die, sacrificing himself not for any
purpose but in humble obedience to the dark forces that nourish him.
This image expanded to the vision of the charismatic leader4 whose
leadership does not need to be justified on the basis of his aims, but
whose mere appearance is already his ‘proof’, to be accepted as an
undeserved gift of grace. With many modifications, but always in the
forefront of the fight against bourgeois and intellectualistic existence,
this archetype of man can be found among the ideas of the Stefan
George circle, of Moller van den Bruck, Sombart, Scheler, Hielscher,
Jünger, and others. Its philosophical justification has been sought in a
so-called –
Philosophy of life
‘Life’ as such is a ‘primal given’ beyond which the mind cannot
penetrate, which is withdrawn from any rational foundation,
justification, or evaluation. Life, when understood in this way, becomes
an inexhaustible reservoir for all irrational powers. Through it the
‘psychic underworld’ can be conjured up, which is “as little evil as [is]
the cosmic ... , but is rather the womb and refuge for all productive and
generative forces, all forces that, though formless, serve every form as
content, all fateful movements.”

poetix

we murder to dissect
It's interesting though that what all the delving into Vedic stuff bottoms out as is "teh merchant caste are soulless and venal, the world was a better place when we venerated military heroes, the very finest of humanity"