how do we kill England

craner

Beast of Burden
And then the only reason they speak it is to show off to each other the fact they've learnt it. It's a weird social code.

The worst offenders inflict it on their children by sending them to Welsh Language schools, which are basically faith schools.

poetix

we murder to dissect
I went to a mate's stag do a few months before Brexit, somewhere in the middle of nowhere, south of Exeter. The further we went into darkest Devon, the more pro-Brexit signs we saw. It was all about immigration. The locals in the rough pub we ended up in, who for some reason took a shine to us and didn't kick our heads in, confided in us their deep hatred of darkies and ragheads. We looked at our shoes and didn't say anything, in the interests of continuing to not get our heads kicked in. This is a part of the country that has barely any actual immigration, where right-wing mythology about waves of shoeless barbarians from the Bad Countries really gets a grip on the imagination, because the imagination is all they've got.

poetix

we murder to dissect
In a moral universe they would have been pulling our legs with all the race-hate stuff, and would have kicked our heads in for saying nothing, but this wasn't a moral universe, it was Devon.

luka

I've talked with Barty about this a fair bit. The sense of having the protect the rest of England from becoming londonised is a potent motivational force. Our thread about Winchester touched on this I think

sadmanbarty

that's the thing, it's not the anti-immigration brexiters. i was well aware of them via bermondsey and essex. likewise the public service brexiters i was aware of. what was a revelation to me was that there was a huge section of society that genuinely did vote due to sovereignty. that there were people educated enough to consider the more esoterically constitutional side of the debate and to fall on that side of it. possibly the plurality of the country i live in that i had no idea about. telegraph readers.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
brexit has taught me about the right wing middle class. i had no idea they existed.

Apparently the biggest demographic that voted to leave the EU, by social class and political leaning, was middle-class Tory voters. Not (as probably a lot of middle-class left-liberals think) working-class Tory voters, and certainly not (as Lexit fantasists such as Len McCluskey like to kid themselves) working-class Labour voters, who accounted for something a sixth of the Leave vote.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I went to a mate's stag do a few months before Brexit, somewhere in the middle of nowhere, south of Exeter. The further we went into darkest Devon, the more pro-Brexit signs we saw. It was all about immigration. The locals in the rough pub we ended up in, who for some reason took a shine to us and didn't kick our heads in, confided in us their deep hatred of darkies and ragheads. We looked at our shoes and didn't say anything, in the interests of continuing to not get our heads kicked in. This is a part of the country that has barely any actual immigration, where right-wing mythology about waves of shoeless barbarians from the Bad Countries really gets a grip on the imagination, because the imagination is all they've got.

Yeah, Exeter is like this little island of relative sanity surrounded by places like you've described. I see Brexit Party signs on my drive to work and back every day. And it's not even the Brexitiest part of England - that would be Essex, East Anglia and Lincolnshire. Although these areas do see more immigration than the SW, I think.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
And then the only reason they speak it is to show off to each other the fact they've learnt it. It's a weird social code.

that's the way with the upper classes though, eh. they do, say and eat different stuff to distinguish themselves. eg eating caviar. no one actually likes it, right?

sadmanbarty

how do we kill this england?

aside from more overtly sectarian conflict, most countries political woes stem from the battle between cosmopolitan cities and reactionary non-cities. in kabul in the 60's you had all these girls in short skirts dressed like nancy sinatra and then in the mountains you had the nut jobs who rambo and bin laden hung out with.

so one way to kill this england would be yimbyism. high density urban housing. good schools in the city. you make cities more attractive than the country side for middle class people.

luka

how do we kill this england?

aside from more overtly sectarian conflict, most countries political woes stem from the battle between cosmopolitan cities and reactionary non-cities. in kabul in the 60's you had all these girls in short skirts dressed like nancy sinatra and then in the mountains you had the nut jobs who rambo and bin laden hung out with.

so one way to kill this england would be yimbyism. high density urban housing. good schools in the city. you make cities more attractive than the country side for middle class people.

They keep trying to kill us.

sadmanbarty

we had a 52/48 referendum, the eu parliamentary elections where remain and leave parties where pretty evenly split and a parliament where nobody's going to been able to command a proper majority for a decade.

these two england's are both adamant they need to kill one another, but they really it's been repeatedly proven they can't.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Time for a new civil war, then?

The odds would probably favour the countryside, which both has access to guns and controls the food supply, I guess.