Thrive in '95 - Jungle's zenith

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I could do a fairly specious thread about how 1998 was the zenith of rap, I think. Based almost entirely on that being when I got into it.

luka

I could do a fairly specious thread about how 1998 was the zenith of rap, I think. Based almost entirely on that being when I got into it.

It was the nadir for me I think, At least up until that point. It felt as if it had fallen a great distance from 1993-4. It felt like a tragedy.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah it probably was. I'm just nostalgic for listening to Tim Westwood shows around then - big pun, dmx, canibus, eminem, master p and no limit, Noreaga...

sadmanbarty

everyone wanted rigidity by the late 90's. stiff and stifled

jungle was a precursor to this. using breaks with have a natural flow to them and chopping them so as to stifle them.

in fact this thread is about the jungle to took that rhythmic palette and tried to make it flow again.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah interesting contention barty, chimes in with what i've been saying as well.

the one i always mention in discussions like this is dj krust - angles. it's essentially absolutist in the sense of bebop. it's totally self-contained. as a tune it is incredible. as a template, to replicate, I'm not so sure. as soon as the drum machines came in people started making beats that didn't go counter-clockwise into themselves like angles.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i've been enjoying many of the selections here, though obviously jungle always sounds better on a good system....was wondering which DJs play reliably good sets from 93-95 these days? Possibly a question for thirdform, given his contributions on the glastonbury thread matching up suggested djs with genres

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
check out distant planet rave crew, check pete dev null, check the jungle list fb group, check dj traxx from moving shadow. warlock can do a good jungle set. jerome hill for darkside.

randall retro jungle sets seem to be an anthem bash, which is alright if you're into that thing but i prefer things deeper and dirtier.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
perfect, will be sure to check out jerome hill then...and lo and behold, he's playing Tunnel Club in September...albeit a techno set, oh well

Last edited:

luka

My mate is threatening to drag me to a Congo Natty night in Brixton this weekend. Might surprise myself and consent. Too early to say

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Started listening to this

And it's so bland. I would have eaten this up when I was 21. Those tastefully delayed congas. Rhodes.

droid

Johnny Jungle - Killa Sound (Krome & Time Remix)

Time to dirty things up a bit with this late ragga tearer from Pascal & Krome & Time via Sub Base. All about the vocal edits on this one 'bad, bad, bad,bad - boy boy boy boy boy, with an amen kick on every word. The last great Krome and Time remix and pretty much the end of an incredible run for Sub Base.

Interesting lineage on the samples here, the main guitar lick is sampled from 'Remix for P Is Free' by BDP (also the sample source for the DJ Die's 'live and direct'), which in turn was sampled from the diseases riddim (probably Yellowman's Zungguzungguguzungguzeng) and the weird reversed thing at the start is from 'Turned on to You' by Eighties Ladies.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Started listening to this

And it's so bland. I would have eaten this up when I was 21. Those tastefully delayed congas. Rhodes.

rnb is soaked in rhodes though. like at least be consistent! you love a lot of rnb/hip hop exactly tailored for that demographic.

personally think this sort of classical dnb is worse: i can't abide it though you probably don't have the same kind of revolting gut churning reaction towards it