Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Thrive in '95 - Jungle's zenith

Although, paradoxically, my favourite of Luka's tricks is to absolutely shit on a piece of music or book that he's never even heard or read.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Photek - extremely 95.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Trinity ‎ Gangsta

...step inna the bank and him no fraid... brandish the gun and get paid.... flash lef police pon parade... ride park up inna di shade...

Dillinja with his OG credentials on full display in this Terror Fabulous sampling maelstrom. Raw, crunchy break work with some big hardocre pads that sound like theyve been through a washing machine. Not a replicant in sight

6. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Goldie - Kemistry VIP

Kemistry had been through at least three iterations before this insane version appeared on the vinyl version of Timeless. This is the music I imagine the immortal cyborg Miles Davis producing as the orbit of his ship decays in the accretion disc of a supermassive black hole at the end of the universe. I know what all the elements in this tune are and roughly what they're doing - I can picture them all running in the sequencer - but when I try and understand exactly what's going on my mind fails to comprehend it, like gazing at a lovecraftian horror or some fiendish optical illusion.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

I want this to be a manifesto of sorts

Why was jungle best in 95, why wasn't it best in 96 or 94?

And - with reference to your recent 130 hatred - what can we in 2019 learn from 1995 jungle?

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Source Direct - A Made up Sound

This tune always reminds me of summer. Scattered fragments of 2nd gen apache rolling over and coalescing into new shapes, time itself hesitating then tripping over itself... precise deployment of abstract minimal melody.

A made up sound indeed.

Great tune that. Genuine question, is this (and some other tunes in this thread) drum n bass though? Sure the lineage is from Jungle. When did the split, if you see it that way, happen?

See also Consiouness by Photek, do you see that as Jungle?

I didn't say it was 'best', I said it was when it was most like itself and unlike anything else. Adulthood - a zenith of identity.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bang Diddley View Post
    Great tune that. Genuine question, is this (and some other tunes in this thread) drum n bass though? Sure the lineage is from Jungle. When did the split, if you see it that way, happen?

See also Consiouness by Photek, do you see that as Jungle?
    I don't think we should get sidetracked with that perennial argument. You can define this by time period, sonic characteristics, vibe... lets just say that we enter into a grey zone in 95 that gets increasingly dark over the following couple of years.

I don't think we should get sidetracked with that perennial argument. You can define this by time period, sonic characteristics, vibe... lets just say that we enter into a grey zone in 95 that gets increasingly dark over the following couple of years.
    Happy to leave out the semantics and go with your point above.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bang Diddley For This Useful Post:

Never heard the Babylon track before. Wow. Getting hit in rapid succession by that heavy kick does something to my brain.

Also, wow to the override track. What a weird and compelling beat. The creativity happening around this time is unsurpassed in pretty much all genres throughout dance music history. Psychedelic.

Photek was firing on multiple cylinders this year eh?
    Last edited by pattycakes_; 21-06-2019 at 04:48 PM.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

I didn't say it was 'best', I said it was when it was most like itself and unlike anything else. Adulthood - a zenith of identity.
    I agree with this idea, but it raises a question or two

We tend to regard genres as organic or biological entities - as a person (growing through the ages of man: infancy, childhood, adolescence etc etc) or as an ecosystem (evolving, mutating, expanding, assimilating, withering)

Does this make sense - seeing social constructions and assemblages as living, quasi-natural systems? It seems irresistible to think of them in those terms but I wonder if there's any reality to it.

But going with that conception of a sound or subculture as a living, growing thing - that leads to the melancholy thought: when a genre achieves adulthood (formative phase completed, influences shaken off) it enters its prime, but that can only ever be a brief moment before the next step, the onset of decline and senescence.

With genres, that doesn't take the form of the musical equivalent of arthritis or Alzheimer's, but genres as they age out do mimic one characteristic of the aging mind, which is inflexibility and an inability to generate fresh perceptions or thoughts.

The character hardens and becomes a confinement.

It happens to genres and individual artists alike - they become predictable. You know what they are going to say before they open their mouths. They repeat the same anecdotes. They have their little catchphrases.

It's that thin line between achieved style and self-parodic mannerism.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

Wow, great post. Mannerism is a really interesting way of thinking about it.

1994 was so exciting that there was this sense of infinite possibilities, that it would go on getting better and newer for ever. It was a bit of a shock and took some time to realise that it not only hadn't, but had got worse. It had started making aesthetic concessions.

We tend to anthropomorphise stuff. And when it's things people create it tends to follow the same paths people take. Echoing

Echoing ourselves. Like life imitates art and visa versa