Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Thrive in '95 - Jungle's zenith

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    I agree with this idea, but it raises a question or two

We tend to regard genres as organic or biological entities - as a person (growing through the ages of man: infancy, childhood, adolescence etc etc) or as an ecosystem (evolving, mutating, expanding, assimilating, withering)

Does this make sense - seeing social constructions and assemblages as living, quasi-natural systems? It seems irresistible to think of them in those terms but I wonder if there's any reality to it.

But going with that conception of a sound or subculture as a living, growing thing - that leads to the melancholy thought: when a genre achieves adulthood (formative phase completed, influences shaken off) it enters its prime, but that can only ever be a brief moment before the next step, the onset of decline and senescence.

With genres, that doesn't take the form of the musical equivalent of arthritis or Alzheimer's, but genres as they age out do mimic one characteristic of the aging mind, which is inflexibility and an inability to generate fresh perceptions or thoughts.

The character hardens and becomes a confinement.

It happens to genres and individual artists alike - they become predictable. You know what they are going to say before they open their mouths. They repeat the same anecdotes. They have their little catchphrases.

It's that thin line between achieved style and self-parodic mannerism.
    I guess the objectively correct approach to take would put us somewhere in the bounds of complexity theory, which is an outgrowth of (Eno's favourite) Norbert's systems theory. A music scene would be viewed as a complex adaptive process in this framework.

But as you say, I dont know if, as humans, its possible NOT to see things that way, and of course the symbolic virtues of this viewpoint resonate deeply. 'As Above So Below; As Within So Without' the panpsychic maxim, an outgrowth of the alchemic tradition of philosophy.

Plus it makes sense, especially with how you've phrased it above.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

ooh, 1995, great year. it's when I first got into this music as a teenager.

this tune was the first one that I remember being 'holy fuck, what is THAT?!?!' I had always been into sci-fi, and this seemed to be the most pure expression of science fiction in music I had ever heard; it still sounds incredible 25 years later:

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pearsall For This Useful Post:

Your Sound. That beat is etched into memory from when I was 11 or 12 listening to 1 in the jungle. When I think back to that time it's that exact track that plays in my head. So raw
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Trolling. Can't bait me that easy.

Jungle is 93 94. 95 is not music it's a tv show. But I'm not rising to the bait. I've never heard splash Babylon it's terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Blogsensus

I'm going to enjoy this cos Luka will disagree vehemently.

I love bullying those black cloth people. Took the pisd so many times

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Herein we make the case for the enduring beauty of 95 jungle, the year that the genre was shorn of overt external influences and grew into an utterly unique multi faceted musical artifact.

We begin with some slightly obscure ethereal soulfulness from Override/AKA Klute:

Feel free to chime in or heckle.
    This is fine tbh but it ain't jungle

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Babylon - Trace remix

Probably the best tune of '95, perhaps the greatest tune in all of jungle. A synthesis of all that came before. Ecstatic artcore pad intro with just a hint of unease, and then the drop! Dogs, sirens - a dense twilight dialogue of disorientation leading to that moment at 4 minutes when it effortlessly ramps into a higher dimension of brutality. A masterpiece.

Honorable mention must go to the original version. Sagas could be written about the moment at 1 minute when the entire tune drops out for that split second chime. An instant of whimsical genius. And then 2:49 when the bouncing bass comes in alongside Splash's trademark call and response snares... it could roll on forever as far as I'm concerned.

I hate the ugly drums on this tune I've never heard.

Psykis ‎– Pretend

Before Darren Beale began his second life as Decoder he enjoyed considerable success recording as Koda and Orca alongside Kristian Townsend on the Dee Jay/Lucky Spin label axis based around the Lucky Spin shop on the kings road. This was one of the their last collaborations, and is quite unlike anything else in his catalog. The tune is held together by a stuttering, hesitant hot pants break which supports an edifice of beautifully understated amen edits characterised by rolling undercurrents, dubwise loop repeats and pitch shifted cymbal crashes. One of the few jungle tunes that has a proper structural connection to dub through it's use of delay.

But what makes this one really strange is the main vocal loop and the various sound effects. Sampled from Sanchez's 94 'Can we talk' tune on the Billie jean riddim, produced by Jammy's son, it doesn't immediately strike you as a likely candidate for a jungle sample, and yet they manage to produce a silk purse - seemingly out of nothing. Evidence of the immense creativity, inventiveness and willingness to experiment that was common at the time.

Last edited by droid; 20-11-2019 at 12:07 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I love bullying those black cloth people. Took the pisd so many times
    What's black cloth people
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    This is fine tbh but it ain't jungle
    lol is this gonna turn into a kiran sande fact mag thing where he argues with raime about whether source direct are jungle or drum and bass?
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

jungle is such an amorphous and subjective term anyway.

I tend to draw the line at 96 personally. but still until about 98 it's jungle-drum and bass.

I need to grab droid's artcore mix again, hopefully it has that early tech itch thing and the override tune. actually on remand assault 94 is an underrated semi-artcore tune but probably criminally hard to come by.
    Last edited by thirdform; 22-06-2019 at 04:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

Why do people find it important to define this stuff so clearly?