Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Thrive in '95 - Jungle's zenith

It's a cool innovation, no wonder it went viral.

Interesting bit of 95 vs 96 here. Dj Phantasy 44 Mag original version from (afaict) late 95 is basically straightforward jump-up amen choppage, but bookended with little chunks of Bukem-lite jazzy synth:

The Ray Keith remix is from '96 and suddenly has far loopier, more stripped-down drums with big synthy bass pushed right to the front but still has a quizzical little blort of jazzy chords dropped incongruously in the middle:

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Slothrop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    DJ Trace - The Mutant Remix, Rollers Instinct

It had to come eventually... A record that set a trend that may have had the most corrosive influence on jungle along with Pulp Fiction & Super sharp shooter, but unlike the latter styles, this one was the invention of just one man. The destruction commences with a template that was repeatedly rinsed in the years to follow, especially by Trace's mates at No-U Turn - a bar of the 'life could' break followed by a bar of sliced up apache. The strings and melody come in and already we're in new territory, a seductive slippery slope that sucks you in with intricate stereo panned rolling apache edits before hitting you with a monster reese, and then... ...some saxophone? The tune rolls on, apaches on the warpath, lush melody undermined by the hulking mass of that distorted bass, and I was fooled just like the rest of the scene. At the time this seemed like an exciting new direction, a new strain of beat science rather than the beginning of a dead eyed journey into a sterile wasteland of ultra clean production and rhythmic desolation.

Damn you Trace!

I like that template. it made everything sound defeated and beaten up.

the real killer for me is people speeding up breakbeats to 180. you can't funk or swing at that tempo. you can pulverise but that was happening in french speedcore, not dnb.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

DJ Trace ‎ Miles High

The penultimate entry in the Trace journal. An example of another virulent strain that emerged in 95 - the Jazz stepper. Pulp fiction is the tune that gets held up as the prime instigator of the style, but tunes like this and Doc Scott's 'Blue Skies' ploughed similar furrows. Exploiting the 'Sandy' break by Supreme DJ Nyborn which had been knocking around for a few years, but normally in combination with a bunch of other breaks, the innovation here was in the stripping back of the beats, leaving room for musical elements and putting more emphasis on the bass as a rhythmic device. Not my cup of tea, but at the time this sound was another pointer to the rude health and diversity of a scene that was generating sub genres at a ridiculous pace.

this is my favourite jazz stepper more detroit techno than anything else though. 96 though officially released!

I respect islamists

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

detest most of the stuff dj pulse was doing around 96 though. horrible.
    I respect islamists

like this one from wax doctor as well can't knock it proto-garage threads running through. 95 as well.

I respect islamists

Both fairly jazzy, but they still had some roll and bounce. The locked down 2 step, or the 1 bar drum loops were the killers.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Both fairly jazzy, but they still had some roll and bounce. The locked down 2 step, or the 1 bar drum loops were the killers.
    alex reece preset drums.
    I respect islamists

DJ Trace - Jazz Primitives

The final homage to a producer who almost single handedly personifies the kaleidoscopic array of styles present in jungle in '95. The dark synth pads set the tone before we get into some gangsta shit with a cascading jazz break that's all about the tom action and those crisp hi hat chimes. Add some descending 808 bass, a carved up diva and the casual arrogance of the 'follow the leader' vocal, and once again Trace is off the map and heading into unexplored terrain. Vicious & incisive in intent and execution. Less of a tune and more of a serial killer's calling card. A glove thrown to the scene from a man who was briefly its king. This one was engineered by Nico and the stark clarity of the production style isn't dissimilar to that unknown face tune posted previously. Set the tone for the deep break exploration of the likes of Paradox, and later the whole drumfunk scene.

And as for the break? Unidentified. The murder weapon never found. When Nico, Ed Rush and Trace played here in early '98, Naphta asked him about it at the after party. 'Cant remember mate' said Trace, a hint of a twinkle in his eye... we didnt believe him for a second.

Last edited by droid; 12-07-2019 at 03:03 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

DJ Trace - Lost Entity Remix

Replete in the rave era, joy isnt an emotion ordinarily found in jungle, but there's a sense of exaltation here, no doubt inherited partly from the '93 original.

I never much cared for the rmx because so neurologically bonded to the original - the remix messes with with the incredible riff that comes in a little after 3 minutes here

first heard it on a Don FM Lucky Spin show - one of those hair-raising moments

the rmx also has that really wussy 'telligent synth-wash part - euuch

Apostasy! From the high priest no less.