Thrive in '95 - Jungle's zenith

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
corpse? please don't leave me hanging like this. i have to give everything a chance. even smooth grooves sometimes. it's part of the third dialectic. that mix was awful. please forgive me.

luka

corpse? please don't leave me hanging like this. i have to give everything a chance. even smooth grooves sometimes. it's part of the third dialectic. that mix was awful. please forgive me.

Corpse sent me a message saying he's very sorry but he's massively tired and can't read his bible. He can't sleep either and is just lying awake staring at the ceiling. Your ottoman eunuch will be back tomorrow though don't worry.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
L Double on one of the earliest Metalheadz releases, this came out in mid-95. This was the flip to the much better known 'Da Base II Dark', and is a classic example of rolling jungle. Really it doesn't have too much in common with the later Metalheadz catalogue, but it rolls along very nicely. Super hard hitting on a big soundsystem.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
on the other hand i love this, so i'm in no position to judge

BTW this reminds me that I am a fan of LTJ Bukem's Logical Progression mix from 1996, just to prove that I'm not anti-jazz-jungle.

One of the most memorable (with a liberal use of that word) sets I ever saw was Bukem at EXIT festival playing for three hours as the sun rose. No doubt a lot of that stuff would sound a bit tepid outside of the context but at the time I really felt the truth of that cliche 'being taken on a musical journey'.

Was Atlantis the best thing Bukem ever produced? It's definitely the best thing I've heard that he produced.

droid

Andy C - Roll On

The first tune from the much maligned RAM records features Andy C rolling it out with some uneasy Dillinja style pads. One of those tunes that got caned by DJ's due to its ultra solid break action and unfussy bass line. The big action here is in the think shaker shuffle. Surprisingly powerful on a system and perfect warm up material.

firefinga

Discogs insists 1994 but i associate this with 95 (and i see firefinga has it listed at discogs in a folder or playlist or something as jungle/DnB 1995) and it feels 95

love the B-line(s) and the way it sort of chug-waddles along with that choppy butchers block beat

https://www.discogs.com/lists/JungleDnB-1995-02/310024

That's my list for February 1995 Jungle I curated on discogs.

I did those lists using old playlists from radio shows and old music mag record reviews to re-create a plausible month-per-month release list. Although only of releases I thought were decent/good. Those lists are nowhere complete, I omitted lots of releases I didn't like much.

So, that Asend track could very well have been released in 1994 already, but hit the playlists sometime around February '95.

droid

PFM - The Western (original mix)

Speaking of Good Looking, here's a tune that pretty much defines artcore. Propelled along by some simple break work, (just a think and hot pants shakers afaik) and a resonant walking 808 bass line, this one is elevated to the higher reaches by an eerie pitched down flute sample, fantastic pads, strings and a brilliantly crafted melodic progression that culminates in the unusual main guitar hook. None of this should work - but it does, and the final product has that ambiguous 6AM vibe... an afterglow of ecstasy on the macro and micro scales.

Later horrifically desecrated by Conrad in one of the worst MC crimes of the 20th century.

craner

Beast of Burden
I have to say I've never seen anything in the PFM records at all. Not then and not to this day. I always thought it was a mystery solved by the fact that they were Bukem's mates ('Danny's Song', bleeuurgh!)

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
In 96 I nicked the ministry of sound comp - one half of a whole decade from my local music store. He used to leave the cds in the sleeves of the ones in the window. Tsk. On it was bukem's logical progression sessions 1. I listened to that thing over and over until one of the hot girls in my classes older brother borrowed it and never returned it. Karma maybe. Anyway I fuckin loved that mix and when I relistened to it for the first time 4 or 5 years ago it sent shivers down my spine. Conrad's voice played a role, so ya'll can kiss my ass!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Used to love this. My main interest when producing music (at first anyway) was using 'Ambient Chord 2' on Reason to make this grandiose weepy breakdowns. Never had a MIDI keyboard to replicate the hardcore piano riffs.

This is 'atmospheric' but I can also picture it shelling a rave. The 'B' section reminds me of rare groove samping tunes like Tom N Jerry 'Maximum Style'. Very clean.

Ravelation Wembley arena 1993 danced on stage in front of 12000 people for Mickey fins set . A memory I will never forget.. a sea of faces as far as i could see. ARE YOU READY RAVER !!! lol

Edit: the further I get into this the more I am relieved to find I still love it.

Last edited: