Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 90s Hype Thread - Acid Jazz + Gilles Peterson

Yes and no. They're staples of the gilles record bag and help define the ethos.

was there ever a hybrid genre that was so unsuccessful in melding the good bits of either sub-genre? the dance floor component is totally lame, and the jazz element is laughably bland. 1+1 < 2.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Yes and no. They're staples of the gilles record bag and help define the ethos.
    true. the foundations. and way better listening, even though i have to admit i like a bunch of acid jazz including jamiroquai lol
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    true. the foundations. and way better listening, even though i have to admit i like a bunch of acid jazz including jamiroquai lol
    listen to real jazz like roscoe mitchell mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

Can you remember any other of his favourites? There were particular jazz vocalists, abbey Lincoln for instance, but what song? And Oliver nelson, but again, which song?

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    listen to real jazz like roscoe mitchell mate.
    jazz is my main thing, third, old bean. it's where my heart lays. very much into the heavy stuff but i can definitely listen to the chaff from time to time. i grew up playing drums along to mr quai so there's some nostalgia in there too. funnily enough he gets a lot of respect in the states from serious jazz n funk fans. same with a bunch of other shit that belongs in this thread like incognito.

i have to say, sometimes i think growing up totally detached from what was cool, not having a peer group who knew the trends, beefs and ins n outs of all the shenanigans of the nuums and hiphops etc was actually a blessing. i can listen to a lot of shit that by dissensus standards is considered sacrilegious. and i dig that you guys know all the shit and the histories, details, nerdy stuff. but it's kinda funny to see what gets hated on sometimes.

anyway back on with the acidjath

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Can you remember any other of his favourites? There were particular jazz vocalists, abbey Lincoln for instance, but what song? And Oliver nelson, but again, which song?
    you already hit on his top fave with mark murphy, can't remember the others off the top, but i may have blocked em out. 95% of the time i can really do without vox in jazz tho tbh.

just did a quick google and found this

not bad

letta mbulu's classic what is wrong with groovin is a nice one.

This was the one. He's always playing this.

Jamiroquai > Pharoah Sanders

Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Apparently the foundational record of the Acid Jazz scene, it's decent:

A lot of the Giles Peterson/digger side of it is basically good records played by the worst people in the worst contexts.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bassbeyondreason For This Useful Post:

Yes context is key because you can, depending on context, foreground this or that element in any given piece of music.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bassbeyondreason View Post
    Apparently the foundational record of the Acid Jazz scene, it's decent:
    Nice. There are comments from the original band members on the YouTube page. Always cool to see people with rare music like this show up. Have seen it with the band Smoke and a few other jazzy things over the years.

bassbeyondreason what is it you dislike about GP and the rest that you dislike so much?

Deeply suspicious of the elevation of "organic" "real music", in the context of e.g. rave culture (which was the original context of Acid Jazz). I mean it's smug and irritating and often vaguely racist/classist, but mainly it just leads to dead-end conservatism, and ignores both the weird outliers of the past and the innovations of the present.

Been thinking of starting a thread on "hardcore eclecticism" vs "tasteful eclecticism", trying to pinpoint what differentiates say Larry Levan or Hieroglyphic Being or DJ Marcelle from, say, Mr Scruff, but I can't think of much beyond the general idea of "vibe".

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bassbeyondreason For This Useful Post:

Also might be an age thing (I'm 31), repulsed by the student stoner music of my immediate forbears (which incidentally seems to have come back round again via Bonobo and "chill lo-fi hip hop" youtube algorithms.)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bassbeyondreason For This Useful Post: