Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Another 90s Hype Thread - Acid Jazz + Gilles Peterson

Maybe the problem with Acid Jazz is that it's both too bland and not bland enough, ersatz 70s postures but shying away from the true deracinated penthouse nihilism of Smooth Jazz:

Anyone else notice that firefinga only posted twice in this thread. Did we upset him?
    Last edited by pattycakes_; 03-07-2019 at 03:09 AM.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    Anyone else notice that firefinga only posted twice in this thread. Did we upset him?
    I can't be upset by anything being posted on internet message boards to be frankly.

It's just like I wrote in an earlier post in this thread: I actually don't know crap about Acid Jazz other than a handful of hyped names and that it was a hype-topic in the 90s music press.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to firefinga For This Useful Post:

https://chrisbangs.typepad.com/chris...t-started.html

"I was with Chris Bangs at one of Nicky Holloway’s nights. One room, five DJs, 1,000 people. Paul Oakenfold was before us. He was wearing a smily t-shirt and on it was ‘Get on one matey, acid’. Everyone was going nuts listening to acid tracks by Phuture. Chris Bangs and I were like, ‘Fucking hell, this is wild, what are we going to play? We’re on next’. There was a fusion of rare groove, acid house and growth in club culture that was making it quite an interesting period. Oakenfold left everyone in rapture, we put on this old 7-inch by Mickey & the Soul Generation which was a rare groove record with a mad rock guitar intro and no beat. I started vary speeding it so it sounded all warped. Chris got on the microphone and said, ‘If that was acid house, this is acid jazz’. "

Maybe acid jazz can be redeemed and rebuilt from first principles, playing loads of mad free jazz in a rave context...

Presumably a favourite of Giles

Fucking great

clayton hines
    2 years ago
    classic jazz funk anthem in the london club scene in the 80s.....very sought by the rare groove boys back in the day,i paid 60 pounds for original in early 90s

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post: