EXODUS: the dissensus bible study group

luka

Come my brethren for the time has come for us to leave the land of Egypt and it's many iniquities and return to that which was promised to us by The LORD.

Last edited:

other_life

bioconfused
this is my motivator to do an entire commentary on genesis, i suppose.
fun bit from the road trip

me: "you know how they have the reuben/reuven?"
da: "yeah"
me: "why haven't they made a sandwich called the whole moses/mosheh?"
da: ... [don't remember, some funny aside]
me: "what would you put on the whole moses"
da: "...a bunch of animals"
me: [hysteric laughing, distressed crying] "oh, those poor creatures-"

luka

I've had a break cos it stopped raining and I had things to do but I'm back and I'm excited. Moses has been born, saved, killed an Egyptian, being given someone's daughter and now the famous bush has begun to burn. All action so far, loving it.

luka

"Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet"

luka

Moses is at magical war with Egypt. He turns his rod into a serpent. Pharaoh says that's nothing, I've got any number of sorcerers can perform that trick watch: all his sorcerers turn their rods in serpents. Moses' rod-serpent gobbles up all of theirs

catalog

Not read exodus, but the Moses found in a basket story mirrors the earlier Karna story from the Mahabharata.

luka

Otherlives did you grow up in a religious family? Christian? Jewish? Or not really at all?

other_life

bioconfused
Otherlives did you grow up in a religious family? Christian? Jewish? Or not really at all?

my moms was mormon and my dads was catholic but bc those fuckers abused their women and corrupted their children they now (for the most part) belong to the lewis black/george carlin school of exegesis

other_life

bioconfused
(not directly related to exodus; certain things discouraging me from doing a proper genesis commentary but i should just Take Courage. read from the balls/with the balls like bahti)
i think my favorite "voices" of the bible are the panicked official, the indignant prophecy, the leading parable.
just finished sefer shmu'el (both parts) and those two and shoftim (judges) are just riveting literature.
there's the "THIS IS THE FINGER OF GOD" realisation in exodus, and there's natan rebuking dovid for letting auryah die at the hands of the ammoni so he can take bas-sheva.
he tells this really sad parable about a man with only one ewe, who he loves like a child, and whose ewe is taken by a rich man with many flocks to be prepared for a feast (but if the poor man is auryah, the ewe is bas-sheva, the flocks are dovid's wives and concubines and the rich man is dovid: who is the guest? shlohmo (solomon)?).
dovid flies into a rage against this hypothetical rich man (his whole bit is Just Judgements) and natan says "THAT MAN IS YOU!", and then haShem (through natan) basically says "YOU ARE INSATIABLE. I GIVE YOU SO MUCH, I WOULD HAVE PROBABLY GIVEN YOU BAS-SHEVA IF YOU HAD ONLY ASKED".
the character-type of "your handmaid", of the woman as messenger or exemplary righteous person, also figures pretty heavily into shoftim and shmu'el. devorah, ya'el, avigail, even bas-sheva.

craner

Beast of Burden
What's going on with this then? I've started again and I'm on the second book of Samuel now.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Maybe if I make it more structured - 1 book a week.

There are 66 books so that's about a year and a quarter.